• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best free **** on roku

scrambled said:
Roku3 + Hulu + Amazon Prime is more than enough TV. The Amazon is nice because of the Nickelodeon for the kiddos. Canceled that fawking $120 Direct TV bill like yesterday!

I'm thinking about doing this now. Roku in living room and in bedroom, plus digital antennae for local channels, and see how that goes.

I'm really afraid I'll miss the whole just hit the recliner to rest and flick through what's on tv til I find something to occupy me for a little while. I really hate the thought of having to make a decision on what to watch every single time I want to watch tv. I'm too OCD for that ****, it's a real complicated process when I have to choose lol. But all seriousness, I think I can live with it and save a bunch of money. I am paying right at $95 a month just for tv, dvr, HD, and no movie channels.

My friends who have dropped cable for this (fire TV in my case ) have said they spend a lot less time veging in front of the TV. They watch what they want, then stop watching. No lack of content available. Live sports then to cause the system to act up after they watch, but they didn't have any other complaints.

This could be a good thing I guess. I'm just used to at least 1 or 2 hours, sometimes more, of sitting in my recliner watching tv just resting after work. I get off at 10:30pm and don't see anybody during the week other than those I work with, so unless I'm cleaning, cooking, or working in the shop, I sit down and just enjoy doing nothing for a couple hours then go to bed. The more I think about it, the more I think I will miss standard tv. Idk, hard decision to cut the cord.

So most people use Amazon Prime for movies instead of Netflix? I've had Netflix before, but don't know much about Amazon Prime. Then Hulu is for TV Shows like series and whatnot?

How does it work for new episodes. Like the new season of The Walking Dead is drawing near. New episodes air every Sunday night at 8pm CST....would there just be a new episode available on Hulu that same night around the same time or what?

I use Netflix and amazon, I watch Netflix more, but I enjoy the music perks and the shipping from amazon prime, some networks have apps that allow you to watch newer episodes but not the older ones, you can also buy the newest seasons on amazon

Re: Re: Best free **** on roku

TacomaJD said:
So most people use Amazon Prime for movies instead of Netflix? I've had Netflix before, but don't know much about Amazon Prime. Then Hulu is for TV Shows like series and whatnot?

How does it work for new episodes. Like the new season of The Walking Dead is drawing near. New episodes air every Sunday night at 8pm CST....would there just be a new episode available on Hulu that same night around the same time or what?
After seeing this thread me and my wife are also looking into doing this. The way she explained the Hulu deal to me is that it is usually on there the next day, but make sure the networks you watch most have deals with hulu, I watch a lot of discovery and she said she didn't think it was on hulu

Looks like everything I want to watch is easily available via Roku, minus AMC? The Walking Dead comes on AMC and I've watched every episode the night it aired for the first time since the very start like 4 years ago. Cannot stop watching it now, so I've got to figure something out on this before I can commit to the swap.

TacomaJD said:
Looks like everything I want to watch is easily available via Roku, minus AMC? The Walking Dead comes on AMC and I've watched every episode the night it aired for the first time since the very start like 4 years ago. Cannot stop watching it now, so I've got to figure something out on this before I can commit to the swap.

You should be ok. WD will be available on Amazon as a purchase per episode deal. If you can wait 1 day after air date. I've only had my Roku/been reading up on all this for a month, but here's my take. Netflix for movies, Hulu plus for TV shows (some) and Amazon seems to be a little of both? I currently have Netflix and Hulu plus. I'm only paying for Netflix (Hulu has a 3 mo free promotion with purchase of Roku) So does Amazon, not sure if I qualify, but will find out soon. Then, as this thread was based, all the FREE channels on Roku. Now I'll say none of them are the be all end all, but there is some good stuff out there. There are a few channels where you can purchase brand new movies too (but they are anywhere from 4$ to $19.

Two shows that I have to see till the end (Walking Dead & Justified) are only on Amazon, so I'm going to try the pay per episode deal.
My biggest issue with the Roku is 1) like you, I have OCD and ADD the thought of not surfing and having to commit can be scary ;D
2) sports. I like my college football in the fall. There are some good streaming sites with almost any game, if you know where to look -ill probably just hook the laptop to TV and do this, but I like to jump back and forth between games w/remote. Also, no equivalent to Velocity for automotive stuff. most of the other stuff can be found on line at the website and played through TV. I haven't "officially cut the cable, but this week I'm gonna do it!

Re:

Just wait till you find a series and spend a day watching episode after episode. I hardly watch TV but Trailer Park Boys sucked me in hardcore.

I can honestly say, I love the savings money wise. I don't have amazon but may look into it. I do miss certain shows and things that aren't on hulu and Netflix, but since shutting dish off I get so much more done around the house. I watch tv 1-1.5hr while laying in bed each night and that's it now. Before as soon as I got home I was in recliner watching tv as soon as I walked in from work.

Re: Re: Re: Best free **** on roku

pushrod-racing said:
I can honestly say, I love the savings money wise. I don't have amazon but may look into it. I do miss certain shows and things that aren't on hulu and Netflix, but since shutting dish off I get so much more done around the house. I watch tv 1-1.5hr while laying in bed each night and that's it now. Before as soon as I got home I was in recliner watching tv as soon as I walked in from work.
One of the cool things about Amazon is you get the Prime hookup when shopping online and you can also get a lot of free music too on your phone. The music isn't as good as Spotify but I imagine it would suffice for a lot of people.

Re: Re: Re: Best free **** on roku

onepieceatatime said:
One of the cool things about Amazon is you get the Prime hookup when shopping online and you can also get a lot of free music too on your phone. The music isn't as good as Spotify but I imagine it would suffice for a lot of people.

I subscribe to the Google Play All Access for $10.49 a month to get unlimited music on my phone. Fawking technology. I love it, but damn I hate it too. ****'s just so expensive, but they know we can't live without it! molaugh

Bump, so we got a roku several months ago, watched breaking bad from beginning to end, now on season 3 of dexter. Wife got a netfilx subscription and we have enjoyed it so far.

Redbull has a free channel thats pretty good. There is also a saltwater fishing one thats decent but I can't remember the name. Youtube has tons of ****.

After over a year with mine I've found that all I really watch are Netflix, Youtube, and Prime. The kicker is that all my TV's come with those built in. So now I literally never use the Roku. The only time I do is when I want to listen on headphones so my wife can sleep. And that rarely works. Google headphone issues with Roku. They have major systemic issues and are mostly useless.

I would not buy Roku again.

Re:

I have cheap ass non "smart" TVs that I've bought credit card reward points, so a couple cheap "refurbished" rokus fixed us up quite well.

patooyee said:
After over a year with mine I've found that all I really watch are Netflix, Youtube, and Prime. The kicker is that all my TV's come with those built in. So now I literally never use the Roku. The only time I do is when I want to listen on headphones so my wife can sleep. And that rarely works. Google headphone issues with Roku. They have major systemic issues and are mostly useless.

I would not buy Roku again.

So the TV works wireless?

I have used the headphones almost nighly for the past year. Never had an issue :dunno: