• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best sounding 4.0L?

Dirty_Stroke

Brian Hester "Byrd"
Anyone know if a Jeep 4.0 can be made to sound like a V8? :dunno: I use to have a 258 in a CJ that sounded just like a damn small block. It had Hedman split headers and true duals with 40 series flowmasters. People would constantly ask if it was a small block. I haven't been able to find any video clips of a 4.0 with split headers.

I remember back in the day in my hometown this idiot had an ole Nova with an inline 6 buildered up with a damn offenhister intake and a freakin HUGE 4 barrel on it all idled down and it sounded retarded :****:

wont work said:
Thats like saying how do I make my Honda sound like a Harley.

Yea I know. I wish I had some video of my old 6 cylinder. You would swear it was a 350. I don't want to go with the same old flow master on a 4.0 sound that it seems 90% of 4.0's sound like. If it can't sound like the 258 did then I might just put a stock muffler back on it lol. I am pretty sure the 4.0 and 4.2 share the same firing order so that's what makes me think that with a split header it should same the same. Just don't want to drop the money and it end up sounding like something off the Fast and Furious. Any videos of this Travis guys jeep?

Re: Re: Best sounding 4.0L?

4.0, Borla header, Flow master with custom driveshaft mods

Damn Rev limiter kept getting in the way of making it anywhere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEVY1y-1emo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I had one that was stroked a comp cam and a thin head gasket it sounded good
But now have a big v8 honestly I probably shoulda stayed with a stroked 6 cylinder would have been cheaper on parts

payne97 said:
I had one that was stroked a comp cam and a thin head gasket it sounded good
But now have a big v8 honestly I probably shoulda stayed with a stroked 6 cylinder would have been cheaper on parts

Was it a 4.0 or a 4.2 stroked? Yea I've been down the V8 road and it's fun but hell on parts. I can hold this little 4.0 on the limiter for long as my heart desires and nothing comes apart lol

Dirty_Stroke said:
That is a good sounding 4.0, but here's a clip of a 4.2 that's exactly how my old 4.2 sounded and how I want the 4.0 to sound.

http://youtu.be/5uwpbYML49I

This was in the comments of that video:

bigredcj7
5 years ago

we have heddman dual headers, three and three, into two true dual pipes with two flowmaster 40 mufflers.

yankster said:
This was in the comments of that video:

bigredcj7
5 years ago

we have heddman dual headers, three and three, into two true dual pipes with two flowmaster 40 mufflers.

Yep that's exactly how my old 258 was ran too. I just haven't heard a 4.0 with a dual outlet header and true duals. Seems all I can find is a single outlet header sound clip. Pacesetter makes a dual outlet 3 in one and 3 in the other header for a 4.0 but it's a mystery what it actually sounds like lol