• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best stock P pump for hydro?

Nuts

What's the best off the local parts store shelf gm p pump to use for full hydro? My psc pump is junk and I want to get a stock pump to use before I send this one back to get rebuilt.

A few of the guys in my group have had good luck with a 6.0L savannah or express van pump. I think mine was for an 2004ish.

Been going strong for a few years now.

All the ones at the parts store are all going to be reman 135 cc pumps and all remans have poor quality control sorry

^^yep

I searched a long time and settled on a pump for "1987 CHEVROLET G30 6.2L 379cid V8 DIESEL"

w/a psc can

approx. 1400 psi, 3+ gpm

Re: Re: Best stock P pump for hydro?

jccarter1 said:
All the ones at the parts store are all going to be reman 135 cc pumps and all remans have poor quality control sorry
This is true.

Any parts store p pump will be the same damn thing,

Doesn't matter if you tell them its for a Chevy dually with hydroboost, or a Chevy Celebrity. Still a P pump.

Ive had the best luck with buying pumps from junkyards or ebay... as long as its a fairly low miles take out, you've got better chances of getting an OEM pump that is worth having VS a parts store pump that just looks like the right thing..

one thing i have noticed is putting a filter in the PS system makes a huge difference in pump life.. my old rig I was replacing van pumps about once a year, 2 guys in our group run the same pump with a filter setup and they've been running the same pump for years... so if you are able to get an OEM P pump, keep it alive cause they are hard to replace...

I got one for a hydro boost set up last night. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be awesome, but if not it's just temporary.

Are there any "stock" pumps that don't have a res built in? The factory pump res on my 6.0 truck engine doesn't clear the chassis.

jccarter1 said:

Yup.

Pick anything at random from the parts store ... it will all be shitty 135 internals with completely random valving. The only differences will be the can.

patooyee said:
Yup.

Pick anything at random from the parts store ... it will all be shitty 135 internals with completely random valving. The only differences will be the can.

Without purchasing from PSC, is there anyway to put 185 internals in a p-pump?

bbtank45 said:
Without purchasing from PSC, is there anyway to put 185 internals in a p-pump?

Sure, purchase from Howe. ;)

You can try getting through to someone helpful at MM Knopf and convince them to sell you a convex back plate and 185 internals. But they don't like dealing with the end-user at all and generally make the experience as difficult and painful as possible. :-\

patooyee said:
Sure, purchase from Howe. ;)

You can try getting through to someone helpful at MM Knopf and convince them to sell you a convex back plate and 185 internals. But they don't like dealing with the end-user at all and generally make the experience as difficult and painful as possible. :-\

I tried that route no luck called 3 different times each time got the run around I wish someone would buy 50 of these from them and resell them to me :****: I don't care if you make a little off the top

Yeah, I think I kind of wore out their kindness back when I was buying them. They were really rude and short with me and I just wouldn't leave them alone, killed them with kindness despite their attitude, and eventually bought 5 sets. I've heard that since then they flat-out won't do it. I'm sorry. :-\

I've only ever heard good things about howe and KRC. I've seen some super-shitty setups that flat-out work on KRC pumps that shouldn't work at all according the engineering guides.

drycreekjeep said:
how did the pump work adam???
I can't tell any difference from the psc pump. Sitting in the garage or driving up and down the street it doesn't whine or seem to have any trouble, but once I get it out in the woods that might change.