• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Better wiring (cool products)

Nearly everything you need to wire up a rig. Just don't let the switches get too terribly wet. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arc-8000d?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-arc-auto-rod-controls&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZiWm77P1wIVl0oNCh38SQqrEAQYASABEgJkDvD_BwE
0aa74f44feac30fed7eab96332a18827.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Beerj said:
Nearly everything you need to wire up a rig. Just don't let the switches get too terribly wet. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arc-8000d?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-arc-auto-rod-controls&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZiWm77P1wIVl0oNCh38SQqrEAQYASABEgJkDvD_BwE
0aa74f44feac30fed7eab96332a18827.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I'm running the ARC 4 switch panel and has really made a difference to me from my old Moroso switch panel. Each of the switches can be programmed to be momentary or on/off. The solenoid mounts in one location and the panel has a tether cord to mount it remotely. I have my panel located on the overhead cage area so I can see it when I'm strapped and harnessed in and cannot look down. The only drawback to their product is the solenoid does not come with a cover for it and had to fab up one myself. Other than that, it's worth it. thumb.gif

ADMINISTRATOR

I've got an ARC 8 relay panel like the picture for sale if anyone wants it. It was in a drag car but I really liked how it worked and how you can change the switches to momentary. pm me

I've just wired a rig using the heat shrink connectors that self solder as you heat them with a heat gun. Pretty slick if you have never used them

fabricator1 said:
I've just wired a rig using the heat shrink connectors that self solder as you heat them with a heat gun. Pretty slick if you have never used them
Where did you buy these magic things?

fabricator1 said:
I've never heard of those. Probably great for guys like me that can't solder for ****.

fabricator1 said:

IF you are going to use connectors with heat shield on them...this is the only way to go.

I actually prefer to use bare connectors with nothing on them, add solder, and slide adhesive lined heat shrink down over it. Saves a little cost, and I just personally feel better about a connection like that vs the premade ones.

Biggest thing for me in general wiring was a nice pair of ratcheting crimpers, nice wire, and a well drawn out plan. And heat resistant loom (if you run loom at all). DO NOT use the plastic junk.

slravenel said:
IF you are going to use connectors with heat shield on them...this is the only way to go.

I actually prefer to use bare connectors with nothing on them, add solder, and slide adhesive lined heat shrink down over it. Saves a little cost, and I just personally feel better about a connection like that vs the premade ones.

Biggest thing for me in general wiring was a nice pair of ratcheting crimpers, nice wire, and a well drawn out plan. And heat resistant loom (if you run loom at all). DO NOT use the plastic junk.
Although I'm guilty of using cheap connectors they do suck. Heat shrink to keep moisture and dirt out of the crimp is the only way to go. I don't like alot of switches but the solid stat relays are the only way to go. Ebay is the cheapest place I found for the pac brand

Beerj said:
I've never heard of those. Probably great for guys like me that can't solder for ****.
Google self soldering connector. Until I used them, I had never heard of them either. I thought they worked really good. If I knew how to attach a video I would

Does the solder melt with just a heat gun or do you still use a soldering iron? I'm going to be redoing some wires when I tear down for paint and these sound like the ticket for me

Eddyj said:
Weren't you bitching about these in another thread?
Yes. I would still use it again for a couple of reasons. After it dried out it works fine again. Also, they're only weatherproof so I probably shouldn't have expected it to be completely fine after driving through a 10 hr thunderstorm. Now, had it not recovered, I might still be pissy. I've been caught in a couple of rain storms while riding and it never hiccuped. Under normal circumstances, they work well.

Beerj said:
Does the solder melt with just a heat gun or do you still use a soldering iron? I'm going to be redoing some wires when I tear down for paint and these sound like the ticket for me
Melts with just a heat gun

fabricator1 said:
fabricator1 said:
Google self soldering connector. Until I used them, I had never heard of them either. I thought they worked really good. If I knew how to attach a video I would
Yup, I'm sold. Even if they're not the best, they're still better than anything else I'm capable of.
https://youtu.be/24FjjIVpk9U

slravenel said:
I actually prefer to use bare connectors with nothing on them, add solder, and slide adhesive lined heat shrink down over it. Saves a little cost, and I just personally feel better about a connection like that vs the premade

I have also went to bare connectors. I add a little dielectric grease on the wire then a dab in each end of the connector before crimping. Finish with adhesive lined shrink wrap.

When you say add solder, do you strip them long and solder the wire to the end of the connectors?

The-Boss said:
I have also went to bare connectors. I add a little dielectric grease on the wire then a dab in each end of the connector before crimping. Finish with adhesive lined shrink wrap.

When you say add solder, do you strip them long and solder the wire to the end of the connectors?

I do, I leave about 1/16 to 1/8" of extra wire (not enough for the screw or anything to hit wire) and solder both ends of the crimp and along the crimped slit. then I cover the whole crimp and solder with shrink and button it all up. I have never had one fail that way.

slravenel said:
I do, I leave about 1/16 to 1/8" of extra wire (not enough for the screw or anything to hit wire) and solder both ends of the crimp and along the crimped slit. then I cover the whole crimp and solder with shrink and button it all up. I have never had one fail that way.

That's what I figured. Definately a great method just takes some time.

Side note; these have been one of my favorite wiring tools. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000OQ21CA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511300652&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=wire+stripping+tool&dpPl=1&dpID=415oINm8uRL&ref=plSrch