• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

big block vs small block

What are the size differences from a small block to big block?
thanks for your help
The BB is quite a bit larger, and definately alot heavier. If you get into the BB thing you better plan on laying down the dough as they normally dont last long reving high without internal work(balancing,roller cam,etc). I have stuffed a BB in the place of A SB and it is definately wider also.

Last edited:
Lol Binder, you have me there and I am sure there are others. I was kind of hoping he would answer back with Chevy, Ford, Chrysler etc. to clarify a bit

I would love an LS motor just dont think i could afford it with needing to get a harness and everything with it... I figure i can sell my full roller 350 with aluminum heads and TPI setup and might not be out to much for a BB with a throttle body and a good cam

I am running a small block chevy now and am considering a big block for the torque and horsepower if i possibly have the room for it
Stroke it to a 383, they put out a lot of torque, and with 200cc sportsman II heads, you can easily get 400 hp.

Do you really need the torque? Just a question...

Where do you feel you are lacking the bottom end. Is it something else in your drive/powertrain that can be changed for the better?

Stroke the small block, you no longer need a big block for torque. You can pull just as much out of a 383 or a 434 stroker as you can from a 454BB. Plus it weighs less and will turn almost twice the rpms if its built right.

Stroke the small block, you no longer need a big block for torque. You can pull just as much out of a 383 or a 434 stroker as you can from a 454BB. Plus it weighs less and will turn almost twice the rpms if its built right.

And ya already have expensive hard parts in yer current small block. 383's can be a crazy engine if done right.

yes thats what i have to do is save some money and build the small block was just looking for an easy way out but i dont have the room for a big block i thought they were only like 2 inches wider so oh well i can build the small block and just have the chip reflashed
thank all of you for your help