• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bigger tires and stock parts

4x4Infidel

Alright so I'm sure I'll sound like an idiot to all of you but here it is.

I have a 98 ranger with a stock 3.0,axles and tranny (for now at least).
I wanna get goodyear mtr with kevlar 32x11.50r15, but I'm not sure if they will be able to handle the added stress. So any ideas?

It'll be fine. Anything will break if you drive like a dumbass but it's pretty tough to hurt much with a 3.0 and tires that small. If its an automatic put a bigger trans cooler on if you're going to wheel it at all, they're not exactly a stout transmission.

I know the trans isn't, that's why I asked and it's a 5 speed manual so I should be alright when I take it out wheeling, hasn't failed me yet.

Thanks for helping with my pathetic question.

32's are a great starting point and you should be aok with some thinking behind the wheel.

But ya you can break anything its the technical wheeler that usually makes his parts last :awesomework:

32's are a great starting point and you should be aok with some thinking behind the wheel.

But ya you can break anything its the technical wheeler that usually makes his parts last :awesomework:

But I don't get cool videos of me on YouTube...:mad:

Need to find that skinny pedal more often :flipoff:

Stock drive train will laugh at that tire size. Hope you have 4.10 gears or it'll be an even bigger dog than it is now with the 3.0.

Thanks much crash. Totalled I do have the 4.10 gears, I checked that first and i knew it was gonna bog it down, but the 3.0 isn't staying long. I was mostly worried about the trans.

That would really depend on how you drive it. I wouldn't think 32" tires are a huge increase from stock tires?

Stock should be about 30"ish. Forgot about the 3.0, you might have a 7.5 rear end. They are okay to about 33s. The spiders are the weak part. If you put a lockrite or an aussie in it, it would be stronger. Or you could swap a 4.10 8.8 disk rear from a sploder.

See I was looking at swapping the 8.8 4.10 from an exploder, heard they did even better if you regeaered it to a 4.56, any truth to that?

Obviously, if you go with a bigger tire, you'd need to regear to get the power back (what little there is)...so yes, going say to a 33, from stock... (which was actually somewhere in the 28" range--either came with a 215/75/15, or 235/75/15...some came with a 265/75/15 (which is close to a 31), but I am betting the 3.0L version did not...)
...Anywho! :redneck: Going to a 33" tire, you'd want to go to at least 4:56 from 4:10, might even consider 4:88's...All depends what's offered for the front...