• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Biggest tire on toy axles.

uhohhotdog151

So ive always run 38"s on my toy axles. ive seen other guys running 40-42" tires, and they held up pretty well. For some reason ive obsessed with running a BIG tire on my new rig. light formula toy esc chasis, chevy 4.3, turbo 350, sing 4.7 case, 4.10 toy axles. I want to run a 44" tsl or irok, or even better, 49" iroks. These will be for the snow only, Ill switch back to the 38s for the summer. What id like to know is, what kind of luck have you guys had with this kind of setup? Would it hold up if i didn't beat on it? or would it just be catastrophic failure every time i touched the throttle? Maybe i should just meet in the middle and get 42"s?

To much power and to tall of a gear in the diffs will lead to t case issues..I wouldn't be as worried about the axles

my toy diff died with a Detroit/4:88's/and 36" Iroks

*mildly built 4.2/ T18 (6.32:1) / D20 tcase

I bet that sounded awesome through that first gear!:fawkdancesmiley:
ouch.
But seriously, Did you just drop that clutch or , .......did you lay into her gentle and ride her till she broke.:haha:

"Boom" heard that before.:redneck:
A lot of factors come into running bigger meats on toy axles reliably. Rig weight/power, driving style(crawl or throddle jockey), upgrades done to axle, and type of terrain rig is wheeled in. From what I have noticed from personal experience is that with an upgraded axle(longfields, etc) and a 4 cylinder using a lot of gearing you can get away with 35-37s being very reliable. 38s and above will result in failure at some point, some more than others. Running big meats in heavy snow is asking for the "Boom", and taking that into consideration a 60 is the better option.:flipoff: Had to sorry.:D

Last edited:
I always say try it, and have plan B ready. The most important thing is you are doing something and not talking about it

Broke a dirty 30 this weekend in the snow on 39.5's behind a 3.0!

I have yet to destroy an output shaft, and im still stock. (knock on wood) Im 23 spline all the way through so i doubt ill kill an input with the 3.0.

Buddy runs 42's on all toyota everything with no issues but i swear he forgets where the gas pedal is sometimes. Very light on the throttle, mostly does crawling.

I run 44s on my Toyota axles.. But I ve a wore out 20R! Ive had great luck with this setup... but wouldn't run them with a 4.3L and 4.7s

It is nice to have mondo diff clearance

I run 44s on my Toyota axles.. But I ve a wore out 20R! Ive had great luck with this setup... but wouldn't run them with a 4.3L and 4.7s

It is nice to have mondo diff clearance

see, thats kind of my thinking. the more clearance i have, the less drag, therefore less force on the running gear/drivetrain. Or am i just thinking backwards here?

Also the 49's are kind of a joke. although if i could get a set cheap enough, you know damn well id run em :redneck:

I was with Josh in his Toy on 60's with his 4.3 and shitty 44's in the snow when he exploded his T-Case...

Run some 39.5 Iroks or Pitbulls and call it good... then you can run them year round.

****, Alex couldn't even keep his together in the snow with the 4.3 and 42's... but then again, that is Alex... so you know it is probably ****ed from jump street.