• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bill's Booty Fab fix for a buck thread

I've got the front 60 shaved and ready for the 5.38's (which are on the bench) and then shaving the rear and gears....some where in there I have to assemble BTF DIY covers....oh yeah and hydro assist because my arms were killing me at the hammers

this press rocks....who has time to wait for tabs

springs001.jpg

ring gear wasn't too bad

gears001.jpg

backlash .006

gears003.jpg

pattern is great for a set of USA Standard Gears

gears005.jpg

gears009.jpg

Drive toe and coast heel--I would work on your pinion depth more. Also the drive side is pretty narrow from the pics...

Drive toe and coast heel--I would work on your pinion depth more. Also the drive side is pretty narrow from the pics...

glad I still have all those arb shims....maybe I need a break and make another move....what you can't see is that the pre-load is not quite what I would like either....my back hurts

hey Crash..you know this is a front so it is running on the weak side right

it was the carrier that didn't have enough pre-load...fixed that...checked...pushed the pinion in .010...it bound...took out .005 and still tight...took out .002 more and it is at .004 backlash and the pattern is about the same

from what I have read these gears are rejects from Yukon...so I will take what I got....

and my back is really sore now

it was the carrier that didn't have enough pre-load...fixed that...checked...pushed the pinion in .010...it bound...took out .005 and still tight...took out .002 more and it is at .004 backlash and the pattern is about the same

from what I have read these gears are rejects from Yukon...so I will take what I got....

and my back is really sore now

Have you done this before?...You shouldn't be doing anything with preload until it has a good pattern......You can get step by step directions from Randys that are prety good...:awesomework:

Have you done this before?...You shouldn't be doing anything with preload until it has a good pattern......You can get step by step directions from Randys that are prety good...:awesomework:

X2...

I'm no gear guy, but I did my own...

yeah...done a lot of them...all types
for about 5 years I narrowed axles and set up gears for money...never had one fail....which is nice
here are leftovers from a few I have done that are still following me around

gears021.jpg

I have tons of shims for 30's, 35's, 44's and 60's so do my own I never buy much besides the gears...

out of the 60 can

gears024.jpg

I still have set up bearings for 44's and 60's

gears022.jpg

this is how I mark them to shave...I think its pretty cool

gears013.jpg

gears017.jpg

gears020.jpg

give me a break here:D...all my stuff that didn't fit in my jeep has been in storage for 3 years while I was on my jeep sabbatical....then I moved what I could here from MN....starting over again:masturbanana[1]:

this is how I mark them to shave...I think its pretty cool

gears013.jpg

I did a writeup on that process about ten yeras ago.....I wonder if I can find it?......
Seriosely though. Your writeup makes it look like you've never done this before. May want to go back and edit in some better information....

I am just chilled...don't really care if people don't know....more fun that way :stirpot:

I did a writeup on that process about ten yeras ago.....I wonder if I can find it?......
Seriosely though. Your writeup makes it look like you've never done this before. May want to go back and edit in some better information....

At second look it looks like you paint the diff then use thinner to remove the paint?.....Just use paint in the drain pan then remove what's painted. White paint works good.:awesomework:

never read anything about marking diffs like that before...thought it was my secret:cool:

Latest posts