• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bill's Booty Fab fix for a buck thread

set diff at the angle you want to cut...fill pan with water till it gets 1/8 or so from the ring gear and then prime above water line (I don't think the paint can get on the diff under water :awesomework:)
then cut the paint line and weld on some plate

Be careful doing this as if you have too much angle the R/P and carrier won't go back in.:eeek:

if you page through my photobucket you can find some diffs I shaved and some other custom axles I have built...

the first time I cut one I was worried about that gear going in there and I have seen people grind on thier ring gear because of bad cuts...
I have used 3/8" and 1/2" plate...the pics are of my diff that I am doing now and I used 1/2"...thinking of adding a piece of stainless under there to maybe help it last
my diy covers are in Ill in route so that will be another project...

Looking through old pictures trying to find something from the old writeup I found this picture from 03...Shows the silouette of a flat diff but more it's just one of those old pictures.:haha:
Vnotch.jpg

yeah...done a lot of them...all types
for about 5 years I narrowed axles and set up gears for money...never had one fail....which is nice
here are leftovers from a few I have done that are still following me around

gears021.jpg

What diff did you get the channel locks out of? A Yugo or something?

:haha:

You had to pick what to bring with you and what to leave in MN and you packed a 5gal bkt of used bearings across the country?

Fawkin' jeepers:redneck:

I've hauled boxes of garbage over 1500 miles...:redneck:

Then stored them for several months before opening 'em and realizing they should have been in the throw away pile and never loaded for transport...

I've also left behind some really important **** that I'll never see again...:booo:

Budget built homebrew **** is :cool:

I have nothing but respect for a rig that can wheel hardcore trails AND drive cross country thousands of miles to do it. :awesomework:

Budget built homebrew **** is :cool:

I have nothing but respect for a rig that can wheel hardcore trails AND drive cross country thousands of miles to do it. :awesomework:

That was my goal :cool:....drive it and beat on it...I did it but now I am ready for a trailer...not that I don't think it can still do it but more for the creature comforts...I am not getting any younger :mad: