• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Binder--> horsepower & torque

That's all a dyno is measuring is torque. HP is calculated from the torque curve and RPM's. You adjust the tourque curve to change how much HP and where it happens. You can't adjust HP to change torque.

horsepower is a fictional number created by man to express pressure across a length of time.
horsepower is a mathematical function of torque and time.
torque moves things, horsepower tells you how fast.
gearing allows low torque /high horsepower to do the same job in the same time as as high torque/low hp

You had it close until it got to the red.....HP is not fiction, it's real. Torque doesn't move anything as it's a measure of something that could be moving or not moving.....
It's like saying a measure of heat moves something. "How many degrees F does it take to move a load?" Or measuring a time period with a ruler.."How many inches are in a week?"
Torque is only one of the factors required to get what's important, HP.

Now here's another way to look at it. I think everyone (well most everyone) can understand that it's the power-torque-HP-whatever to the wheels that matters, correct?.....Now HP at the engine doesn't change through the power train other than frictional losses. In otherwords HP doesn't multiply with gears but torque does...So your cruizing down the road in high gear optimum RPM and you want to go fast so you stick the pedal to the floor. Why do you not downshift to go faster? Downshifting gives you more torque at the wheels and keeps the same HP so clearly the faster you want to go the lower gear you should be in.....Right?:corn:
How much torque does it take to accelerate a 4000lb car through the quarter mile in 12 seconds? Need more torque just gear it lower, that should do it right?:corn:

That's all a dyno is measuring is torque. HP is calculated from the torque curve and RPM's. You adjust the tourque curve to change how much HP and where it happens. You can't adjust HP to change torque.

Close.....You adjust torque and/ or RPM range to change HP......What would happen if you used a dyno and didn't measure RPM at the same time? The dyno can give you a torque number but it can't tell you if the engine is even turning....Yes I know how a dyno works and that the engine has to turn for it to measure. For the sake of argument this is a new kind of dyno which can measure at zero RPM.

Not really.

So what is stopping any manufacturer from building a small block Semi to haul loads if all they need is gearing and rpm to make up for it? You're just being you, it's no different then any other day. There is a reason and a need for the way trucks are built. And the hp and torque that they produce. If you know of a better way, build it and make billions. It's really that simple. Until you build that small block truck of yours to out pull, say... Hell, even my Dad's 05 Ram cummins towing his 40 foot toyhauler. You have absolutely nothing but a bunch of ramblings. And the guys that actually know what they are doing are making money building trucks.

So what is stopping any manufacturer from building a small block Semi to haul loads if all they need is gearing and rpm to make up for it? You're just being you, it's no different then any other day. There is a reason and a need for the way trucks are built. And the hp and torque that they produce. If you know of a better way, build it and make billions. It's really that simple. Until you build that small block truck of yours to out pull, say... Hell, even my Dad's 05 Ram cummins towing his 40 foot toyhauler. You have absolutely nothing but a bunch of ramblings. And the guys that actually know what they are doing are making money building trucks.

Because clearly you didn't read the whole thread from the beginning. Go back and read it then ask questions.

Here's another one for thought.....Take a formula one car that puts out 820 HP at 15,800 RPM but only makes about 270 ft lbs. Why would they build that if torque was what's needed to make it go fast?:corn:

Because clearly you didn't read the whole thread from the beginning. Go back and read it then ask questions.

I've read all of your rants about this subject.. Build the truck. It's simple for someone like you, right?

The only questions I ever asked were sarcastic.. Trust me, I'm not asking you anything.

I've read all of your rants about this subject.. Build the truck. It's simple for someone like you, right?

The only questions I ever asked were sarcastic.. Trust me, I'm not asking you anything.

So you read posts 6 through 12 of this thread? What part of it did you not understand?
Maybe you should ask if you want to understand it...

Here's another one for thought.....Take a formula one car that puts out 820 HP at 15,800 RPM but only makes about 270 ft lbs. Why would they build that if torque was what's needed to make it go fast?:corn:

Same pricable as a 2 stroke, they work in a power band

Now try and stop and go that motor, also it is a meth motor..........:haha:

Latest posts