• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Binder--> horsepower & torque

On what planet? Think about it....
What you're refering to is called mathematical proof. Look it up. There's a reason it's called proof and not opinion.:;

Again I've said it a couple million times now that the engine must be in it's RPM range where it makes it's power. Simply stating that an engine is producing max power implies that it's in it's power band. If it were not then it wouldn't be producing it's max power would it?
Yes knowing max power alone tells you how fast a weight will accelerate or how much power is needed to move a given weight at a given speed, whichever way you want to look at it..........Again here it is in real time for you.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php
If you want it to be a semi truck then put in semi truck weight. If you want it to be a bicycle then put in a bikes weight....It's the same principals involved. If you want it to reflect torque of anything you're **** out of luck because there's no torque input involved.
Go to the link and plug in some numbers and think about it!:awesomework:

I'll give you an example of how math and practical application differ. Divide 100 by 3. You get 33.333333 and on. Take a 100 inch board and cut it in 3 equal pieces. You get three separate boards of equal length, 33 1/3. Math and the real world application are just a bit different. Where we differ is that your always assuming an engine is making max HP, I'm always stating it has to get there first. Knowing max power will not tell you how fast an object will accelerate if the motor can not get to it's max power. That's the difference in the math model and application. The torque and RPM has to get to the point where it makes max power and if the load is too much, a high RPM low torque motor will never make max HP but a low rpm, high torque motor would. So knowing Max HP is important but you also have to get there. This poor horse.

Last edited:
Where we differ is that your always assuming an engine is making max HP, I'm always stating it has to get there first. Knowing max power will not tell you how fast an object will accelerate if the motor can not get to it's max power. That's the difference in the math model and application. The torque and RPM has to get to the point where it makes max power and if the load is too much, a high RPM low torque motor will never make max HP but a low rpm, high torque motor would. So knowing Max HP is important but you also have to get there. This poor horse.

With appropiate gearing, anything is possible.

The low rpm, high torque motor AND the high RPM, low torque motor will BOTH do identical jobs (whether it be towing or racing) provided both have a transmission capable of keeping the engine in the correct rpm at the correct time.

Essentially the word "horsepower" is a word that means "potential energy" of the given motor. If both motors have the same "potential", then both can obtain it with the correct gearing.

Where the low RPM motor shines is in it's durability. The high RPM motor will have substantially more internal wear.

Where we differ is that your always assuming an engine is making max HP, I'm always stating it has to get there first..
I'm not assuming anything I'm comparing two engines of equal power. Comparing them while they make the equal power.....If they aren't making equal power then they aren't equal are they?
Knowing max power will not tell you how fast an object will accelerate if the motor can not get to it's max power. .
....I almost don't even want to type this as the horse is getting very beaten.....The engine must be in it's RPM range to make the power.
That's the difference in the math model and application...
Again it's called mathematical proof not mathematical opinion.:; There's no way you can apply any of this without math. Without math there's no way to even know what HP or torque even is. They have to have values in order to be relevant to anything otherwise you're just an idiot pushing a gas pedal hopeing it goes faster.:haha:
This poor horse.
I'm getting tired of beating the horse.:haha:

With appropiate gearing, anything is possible.

The low rpm, high torque motor AND the high RPM, low torque motor will BOTH do identical jobs (whether it be towing or racing) provided both have a transmission capable of keeping the engine in the correct rpm at the correct time.

Essentially the word "horsepower" is a word that means "potential energy" of the given motor. If both motors have the same "potential", then both can obtain it with the correct gearing.

Where the low RPM motor shines is in it's durability. The high RPM motor will have substantially more internal wear.

Finally a post that is 100% correct!
Thank you!!!!:cheer:

I'm not assuming anything I'm comparing two engines of equal power. Comparing them while they make the equal power.....If they aren't making equal power then they aren't equal are they?

But...and I hate to go here in fear of adding any more confusion if that's even possible......We (I) talked about it earlier in this thread and as you say there are advantages of power at low RPM. The lower the RPM range the longer the MPH range in each gear. With the equal HP engines the one with the higher RPM range will need to shift more often. This is where WT's theoretical infinite geared transmission would come into play. With that transmission there wouldn't be AS MUCH advantage to the low RPM engine.:cheer:
For the record there are advantages to the higher revving engine also.:;

Again the difference, I'm compairing two engines that have the potential of equal power. But one, because of how it makes it's power will get to it's full potential under load (high tq/low RPM) and one that will not under load (high RPM/ low torque). Two engines can make equal power an infinite number of ways but there are better ways to get to that peak power especially under a load (high tq/low RPM's). We may be beating a dead elephant by now.:hi:

Two engines can make equal power an infinite number of ways but there are better ways to get to that peak power especially under a load (high tq/low RPM's).

Better is relevant to what you are doing.......More torque requires a more robust bottom end which is very likely heavier....Racing applications are better off with a lighter engine........How else could you get 800+ HP out of a 1.6 liter engine?..F-1

It's a dead whale and it's starting to stink!:haha:

But...and I hate to go here in fear of adding any more confusion if that's even possible......We (I) talked about it earlier in this thread and as you say there are advantages of power at low RPM. The lower the RPM range the longer the MPH range in each gear. With the equal HP engines the one with the higher RPM range will need to shift more often. This is where WT's theoretical infinite geared transmission would come into play. With that transmission there wouldn't be AS MUCH advantage to the low RPM engine.:cheer:
For the record there are advantages to the higher revving engine also.:;

Fawk ya finally get what I've been putting down... In the scenario that the infinite trans was discussed that's what it would take for the gasser to keep up with the high torque diesel. And that transmission doesn't exist in the real world. Do YOU get it now? :flipoff:

I understand that hp = hp no matter what engine it is but the high torque low rpm engine will out pull the low torque high rpm engine any day of the week right here in the real world. :cheer:

Fawk ya finally get what I've been putting down... In the scenario that the infinite trans was discussed that's what it would take for the gasser to keep up with the high torque diesel. And that transmission doesn't exist in the real world. Do YOU get it now? :flipoff:

I understand that hp = hp no matter what engine it is but the high torque low rpm engine will out pull the low torque high rpm engine any day of the week right here in the real world. :cheer:

There's still some of this dead whale left. Want to help me beat it?:haha:
:beatdeadhorse:

Latest posts