• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Blue plastic on driveshaft slips.

RustyC

I have a shaft in perfect shape except for the blue plastic is peeling of the slip and causing it to seize.

What is the purpose of the blue plastic? Cushion? Wear resistance?

If the plastic is removed there will be a lot of slop in the splines.
Can it be reapplied or replaced with something else?

Throw some ideas out. :dunno:

RustyC said:
I have a shaft in perfect shape except for the blue plastic is peeling of the slip and causing it to seize.

What is the purpose of the blue plastic? Cushion? Wear resistance?

If the plastic is removed there will be a lot of slop in the splines.
Can it be reapplied or replaced with something else?

Throw some ideas out. :dunno:
I always assumed it made for a tighter fit?

We build shafts daily at work. I've asked our veteran guy before about this. It cannot be reapplied and is there for tight fitment and to help with slip. Ie:not seizing. So you are spot on. For wheelin it's fine. The blue isn't critical for the fitment on our rigs. Street rigs require it for balance. Keep it greased and ride.

I heated what was left with a heat gun and was able to get it all off. The slop in the splines is not terrible but I wish it was better. Luckily it is a long slip with a roughly 6" or more of spline engagement and that is helping with the slop as well.
Deep down I know it can be reapplied but not sure it is something that can be done without the proper tooling. If it was dipped or sprayed on the splines once it can be done again.
Probably way cost effective to just replace the slip.

rpf500 said:
We build shafts daily at work. I've asked our veteran guy before about this. It cannot be reapplied and is there for tight fitment and to help with slip. Ie:not seizing. So you are spot on. For wheelin it's fine. The blue isn't critical for the fitment on our rigs. Street rigs require it for balance. Keep it greased and ride.

I've always wondered about that stuff. Good info, thanks for sharing

I ld imagine that plastidip would just rake off as soon as it slipped. That blue **** is tough as hell. Must be some sort of nylon/Teflon/vagina skin or something.