• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bolts?

Maverick26

As iron sharpens iron...
Been seeing some bent and sheared off bolts on other threads lately and I just wanted to know if there are other options for fasteners? I know some people like the 12pt stuff too. How about grade 10? I think you can get grade 10 stuff from CAT? Is there a place that sells them off the shelf? Some times grade 8 does not cut it.

Shannon torques bolts and they still bend. If the bold is not up to the stress then it will bend or fail even if installed properly.

I have searched.

Shannon torques bolts and they still bend. If the bold is not up to the stress then it will bend or fail even if installed properly.

I have searched.

I did say most of the time. Most of the rest of the time it's poor design.......Sometimes the bolt requires a safety so it doesn't come loose.:awesomework:
Who is Shannon?

When you buy bolts ask where they are from! Even very reputable places are selling import hardware to stay competitive. There is a bunch of really shitty hardware being imported from Asia that are marked w/ grades but fail testing miserably.

I don't believe there is anything on a wheeler that a "good" grade 8 bolt won't hold when properly installed and designed.

Remember when using metric bolts 8.8=grade 5 10.9=grade 8

What bolts are you bending/breaking Mav?

Ive had very good luck with fasteners from Tacoma screw.

Well it's not just me that I am talking about... I have seen a hand full of threads on pirate that guys are bending or shearing either shock mount or link fasteners. And some of th time it is due to improper instl. But other times it's just the stress the bolt is under. I was trin to bring some tech over here to maybe get a list of suppliers that have good bolts and can offer torque specs for the bolts. I am not an engineer so how do I know what to torque bolts to? At work we have a thing called torque wizard that does it for us. These question are for me and also for anyone else building a rig.

I work on airplanes and know the importance of torque and safties.

I personally bent one rear 1/2" fine thread upper shock mount bolt so bad I had to cut it out. It was grade 8 from Fastenal.

when i purchase hardware 99% of the time it's @ Tacoma screw off Airport road in Lynnwood. I always specify DOMESTIC ie North America. Half of the guys in there don't know how to tell. IF the bolt head has an FT,FC FTW etc on the head it is Tiawanese or Korean. The only bolts I personally buy and am SURE it's domestic is NUCOR....the bolt head will have an "n" on the head. That bolt is Mfg in either the US or Canada.

Another thing I do,that I take a lttle ribbing for from the homies, is between every run/day...I go around the car and make sure that ALL the critical fasteners are TIGHT....I don't torque them...but I make sure they are butt ass tight. I know torquing is "the way", but having them B.A.T. is 99% of the battle. Seems excessive to most but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I'm smashing the crap outa things

I personally bent one rear 1/2" fine thread upper shock mount bolt so bad I had to cut it out. It was grade 8 from Fastenal.

You got a cheap import bolt. Grade 8 bolts are extremal hard, very seldom will a grade 8 bolt bend. If it is stressed to the failure point it will sheer off.

Do a search for bolt torque chart on the web. There are thousands to pick from.

but I make sure they are butt ass tight.

Not sure if you remeber but my dad's name is Jeff also, he uses a similer torque method called "tighten it tell your ass hole squeeks!"

I tried to get all domestic hardware but maybe I missed one causing that one to bend. Next year the car is getting all new heims and bolts so I may switch to 12pt stuff and be really sure all is domestic.

Not sure if you remeber but my dad's name is Jeff also, he uses a similer torque method called "tighten it tell your ass hole squeeks!".

Yep I have to agree with that method
the only place I use cheep bolts is on the plows atatchment sheer area. I would rather have them break than bend stuff.
I just know to check them often and have lots of extras in the truck

You all have to remember that a bolt is NOT a pin, it is a clamp. It is intended to tighten with enough force that the friction between the parts is enough that the parts will not move.
If it bends it was too weak and too loose.
If it shears it was strong enough but too loose.
if it strips, it is not strong enough.

Tacoma Screw Has import and domestic so make sure you specify!

I was in there today and asked my salesem about that. He said every grade 5 and 8 bolt is made in the usa. And that the powers that be at tsp wouldnt budge on that.

Good to know, as i love stuff made in the USA

Another thing I do,that I take a lttle ribbing for from the homies, is between every run/day...I go around the car and make sure that ALL the critical fasteners are TIGHT....I don't torque them...but I make sure they are butt ass tight. I know torquing is "the way", but having them B.A.T. is 99% of the battle. Seems excessive to most but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I'm smashing the crap outa things

Wait, your "pals" give you **** for doing stuff the right way?

Latest posts