• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brainwashed

ohh! i didn't realize they had super narrow rc4wd. mine are narower than stock but not as narrow as my pro line 8 shooters. hey is the comp over this early? came in to eat and see your on line already?man i envy your rig!

So I finally got a wild hair up my butt and decided to make a dedicated space in the shop for these little things. I went and took part of my diff area since I use the big bench for most of it anyways.
moa104.jpg

moa105.jpg

At a recent GTG I found I was starting to have excessive stall in the rear motor. I pulled both motors down and found corrosion on the rear amature from salt water. So I polished everything up and tried them out-----same damn thing. So I went and dropped both motors off with doug to turn the armatures and do them up the day before tha last comp. Well they worked great and was able to pull off perfect scores on my first 2 courses. Well on my third course I ended up having the issue again on a nasty side hill--well lets just say it screwed me. From what we figure the salt water did something to the armature. So I went and ordered 2 35t JP warroir motors and threw them in---back to having a rig that runs like glass.

So I have been continuing tweeking the suspenion (shocks more than anything). I did have a very stiff spring rate (duel and tripple springs). I started my removing those and I was finding I was able to climb better and just its basic performance improved. So I then and went with a softer main spring and now have the rig droop about 1/2" (where before they sat maxed at compression) and I could not be happier. I am still fighting my shafty way of thinking....

So one thing I wanted to do was inboard the top of the shocks to help aid in sidehill (makes shock more effective) and also have the shock follow the motion of the suspenion and also help in turning (tires nailing shocks).
But one thing that was in my way was the cover on the gear case. I had read some different methods of replacing the cover--well I just had to do it my own way,lol.
I went and got some very thing alum. and cut my own.
moa106.jpg

And definatly alot thinner and lighter than the clear cover.
moa107.jpg

As you can see I opted to only use 2 mouting screws. The third one has to be right on the money and same depth as the metal case or it will rub against the gear that runs against the pinion. Plus I don't think the cover will get hit really due to how thin it is and away from the edge of the case where you get rock rash.
moa108.jpg

SO I was able to inboard the shocks a total of an inch between the 2 and still had room to spare from the shock body even getting close to making contact with the new cover.
moa109.jpg

And here they now sit--I am much happier with this setup and will have a chance to try it out tommorow at another GTG..
moa110.jpg

Something I have been poking at. I have been contiplaying going to a bodyless setup. Now I typicly don't draw stuff out but figured I would give it a shot. So sat down with crayons and paper :redneck:

Here was my first attempt.

moa111.jpg

moa112.jpg

Here was after 5 different versions---I hated it :redneck:

moa113.jpg

And since all I had was alumimum for material I went ahead and made it out of that to see how I liked it.

moa116.jpg

moa117.jpg

moa118.jpg

moa119.jpg

And here is how it mounts to the chassis.

moa120.jpg

moa121.jpg

And here is what I used for hood/roof.

moa122.jpg

moa123.jpg

moa124.jpg

This is just for testing purpose's since it doesn't fit the bodyless rules. No removable side panel and the roof/hood must be made of a solid material.

Once I had a chance to run it at a comp I found I really liked it but the alumn. is just too heavy.

So I orderd a bunch of delrin material.

I came up with a tweeked version of my prototype.

moa125.jpg

And then cut a new setup out of delrin. The cross supports are 1/4" solid material--I ended up making a jig for my drill press and able to get them perfectly center drilled and tapped at 3mm. As it sits its a hair over 1ouz lighter than the prototype.

moa126.jpg

I made the roof/hood panels out of polycarbinate(sp) since its easy to work with and I can use the same paint as I do the full bodies. But they turned out pretty decent...

moa127.jpg

moa128.jpg

moa129.jpg

Now for me to make it 100% legal per USRCCA bodyless rules I still have to have a removable side panel. So I went and tore the chassis apart because I had to slightly modify it and also I need to copy it for kyles rig.

But I went and made new removable side panels.

moa130.jpg

moa131.jpg

And mounted to the chassis.

moa132.jpg

moa133.jpg

moa134.jpg

Well I have been fighting wanting a better steering setup and have wanted a BTA since day one but its just not an option with this axle. Well after some screwing around I think I finally got what I wanted. I have a little more tweeking to do with it to get it perfect. I have to change the tie rod lengths to get the servo horn more centered in its travel but as it sits now it works pretty darn good.

moa135.jpg

moa136.jpg

moa137.jpg

hows the ackerman angle at the knuckles when that center arm when its turned/layed flat one way or the other?

I like the clearence.:awesomework: