brake calliper issues....

2pwrlftrs4u

NWW Meanie
D44 front axle

both of my callipers will not "retract" after using the brakes

what could cause this?

callipers and brake shoes are less than 6mo old

And people don't understand why I hate single piston calipers. :haha: :haha:

Is the piston retracting and just the other pad rubbing? If it's not, your master is out of adjustment or wrong type and has too much residual pressure.

Could be a kinked, bent or collapsed brake hose also.

x2

or how old are the calipers? They could be seized up. Ever flush your brake fluid? What color is it? Black? There's your problem replace call's flush everything.

Recent brake history:

had new lines made about 6-8 months ago at rapid brake

YJ booster installed memorial day weekend

i had one pistion sticking and i replaced both callipers with new callipers in Feb/March (less than 5k mi ago but before the YJ booster was installed)

new shoes with callipers

rotors are about 10k mi old

brake fluid is clean... flushed when YJ booster was installed

Did you replace with "new" or "rebuilt" calipers.

I've seen a lot of "rebuilt" calipers bad out of the box or shortly there after being installed.

I'd say the calipers are bad.

YJ booster installed memorial day weekend

Was this when the problem started? It sounds like (as Shane pointed out) the pushrod from the booster isn't fully retracting and allowing the fluid to return. The problem could be between the booster and the master, or between the pedal and the booster - both can cause the same problem. there is probably a factory spec for the pushrod clearances, but common sense is usually good enough. Checking and adjusting the booster-master pushrod is tougher but usually the culprit in my experience.

See if you can get it to intentionally lock up (jack up the front end, pump the brakes a few times, let off the pedal, see if the wheel will spin), then crack the bleeder. If it shoots fluid and releases the caliper, you're building too much pressure and not releasing it. With new lines, it's doubtful that the problem is in the fluid or lines.

Last edited:
Was this when the problem started? It sounds like (as Shane pointed out) the pushrod from the booster isn't fully retracting and allowing the fluid to return. The problem could be between the booster and the master, or between the pedal and the booster - both can cause the same problem. there is probably a factory spec for the pushrod clearances, but common sense is usually good enough. Checking and adjusting the booster-master pushrod is tougher but usually the culprit in my experience.

See if you can get it to intentionally lock up (jack up the front end, pump the brakes a few times, let off the pedal, see if the wheel will spin), then crack the bleeder. If it shoots fluid and releases the caliper, you're building too much pressure and not releasing it. With new lines, it's doubtful that the problem is in the fluid or lines.

i did this last night... and still not the problem. this happend once before the new callipers were installed

callipers are still under warranty so i am gonna pull them and tak them back today

no mud recently