• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brake Controller recommendations and why....

Harvester of Sorrow

I currently have a marginal brake controller...(pics tonight)

It will hold the brakes on the trailer longer than it needs to at an intersection and is touchier than **** setting.

What do you recommend for a controller that is cost effective, "programmable", and will be easy to hook-up/wire?

This is the rig and what I tow:
l_04a17d02b4404f18ac8a54c46dcd7a9f.jpg

I used to have a brake controller that had the same problems you mention...

I switched to a Tekonsha Prodigy and it is the smoothest, most trouble free controller I have ever used. You don't have to level it, and it is very easy to adjust the braking power.

All of the controllers in the class that prodigy is in work awesome. I stepped up about a year ago. I will never go back. The first time you tow with one of those controllers you will swear it can read your mind.

Tekonsha prodigy P3. Not the cheapest, but it's the best. Get a good one, it'll make all the difference, at a cost difference of less than one tank of gas. I use this one personally, and love that you can set the voltage at .1 increments, and it clearly displays messages that you can easily understand when/if there is a brake problem. (self diagnostic)

popup

http://www.adventurerv.net/tekonsha-electric-brake-control-controller-camper-p-1911.html

My old Chevy had a Hydraulic controller. It worked pretty good for what it was but you coudln't adjust the pressure. So I bought a OK electronic controller ($50). I Can adjust the pressure but it too takes a second to release the trailer brakes after I let my foot off the peddle. It has a switch on the side that say's "Ramp" -/+. I have no idea what this does. The instructions just said yeh there's a switch there names the ramp switch. :rolleyes: Didn't tell me a damn thing about what it does. Anyone??

My old Chevy had a Hydraulic controller. It worked pretty good for what it was but you coudln't adjust the pressure. So I bought a OK electronic controller ($50). I Can adjust the pressure but it too takes a second to release the trailer brakes after I let my foot off the peddle. It has a switch on the side that say's "Ramp" -/+. I have no idea what this does. The instructions just said yeh there's a switch there names the ramp switch. :rolleyes: Didn't tell me a damn thing about what it does. Anyone??

I'm sure the ramp mean's when you are backing up..With a hydraulic controller backing up suck's brakes stay on. Oh and my brake controller took a dump also and I'll be getting the prodigy also

Tekonsha prodigy P3. Not the cheapest, but it's the best. Get a good one, it'll make all the difference, at a cost difference of less than one tank of gas. I use this one personally, and love that you can set the voltage at .1 increments, and it clearly displays messages that you can easily understand when/if there is a brake problem. (self diagnostic)

popup

http://www.adventurerv.net/tekonsha-electric-brake-control-controller-camper-p-1911.html

I have been using this one also for awhile now, and wow the thing is awesome. I couldn't go back to the other style ever again.

so another vote for the P3, and do some searching on teh net. I found mine delivered to my door with the plug in wiring harness for like 120.00

I have a tekonsha prodigy aswell. Its baddass. :cool:

I mean Cmon, how can you go wrong with MISSLE GUIDED technology?
It senses panic stops aswell from an enursha sensor or something.

All I know is I can set it soft and then stomp the brakes and its not soft anymore. It does more than just turn on with the brake switch.:awesomework:

Go down to freeway trailers in fife and ask for Jack in parts and service, he will take care of ya.:beer:

I switched to a Tekonsha Prodigy and it is the smoothest, most trouble free controller I have ever used. You don't have to level it, and it is very easy to adjust the braking power.

Amen, set up and installation was a breeeeeze.

Tekonsha Prodigy is the way to go for a reasonable prize setup.

I have a tekonsha prodigy aswell. Its baddass. :cool:

I mean Cmon, how can you go wrong with MISSLE GUIDED technology?
It senses panic stops aswell from an enursha sensor or something.

All I know is I can set it soft and then stomp the brakes and its not soft anymore. It does more than just turn on with the brake switch.:awesomework:

Go down to freeway trailers in fife and ask for Jack in parts and service, he will take care of ya.:beer:

What the heck is an 'enursha sensor'.

Thanks everybody...

Sounds like that is the unit I should go with.
Yes, it is.

Even nicer on new trucks. Plug in harness :D. Takes longer to figure out were to mount it that to wire it :flipoff:

The P3 is supposed to be nicer, but you can't go wrong with the strait prodigy for under 100-bones. Lots of $$ but it will be the last one I buy. If you get multiple tow rigs you can get separate docks for it too so you only need one controller and just move it between rigs.

O-ya, what a hooptee :flipoff:

yes they are awsome ,i just put one in my old truck and it does read your mind