• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brake Master Cylinder Suggestions

jimpaget

We are running Dana 60s, front and rear. The front is a kingpin 60 with discs from about '90 ish. The rear is a drum 60 from about 79-80.

What would people suggest that we run for a brake master cylinder. We are assuming that it has a stock YJ master.

that write up looks like it mite just do the trick jim....and super simple.:awesomework:

yah its a sweet cheap lil upgrade. can lock up all four easy now. think i spent under $20 for the master at rockauto.... not sure though this swap was awhile ago

It's possible this rig already has the swap done---need to check in a bit.... (yes, my internet is currently working, but likely won't after a while. Damn modem gets warm and shuts down! :mad:

Welp, ended up not having the swap done...so I ran down to Napa and picked up a M/C for an 86 E350...did have to grind the ears abit and hog the holes slightly to get it mounted. Also picked up a couple adapters for the brake lines so no flaring was needed...

M/C-NAPA Pt# M2559
Adapter-Weatherhead Pt#7828 (3/8"x24 male to 7/16"x24 female)
Adapter-weatherhead Pt#9719 (7/16"x24 male to 1/2"x20 female)

Relatively simple setting it up--make sure the booster rod is set properly. The rest is pretty simple! Seems to have greatly increased brake feel--can't verify just yet as I'm trying to locate a right sight axleshaft that's not twisted! :mad: Apparently there are SEVERAL different versions of this axleshaft---with many varying part numbers...seems by measurements the rear axle is out of a 75-78.5 F250... I have a line on one--we'll see if it pans out...

good deal, keep the updates on how this goes. Ive heard nothing but good things with the e350 swap and any odd ball or differences in design or characteristics with the master cylinder is good to know about....

Master cylinder is phisically the same length at the stock YJ one..just a larger bore, and different size threads for lines...hog the mounting holes inward approx 1/8", and clearance the mounting ears to fit into the booster. Viola!

Master cylinder is phisically the same length at the stock YJ one..just a larger bore, and different size threads for lines...hog the mounting holes inward approx 1/8", and clearance the mounting ears to fit into the booster. Viola!

Is it the same master as with non power brakes ? I have the 78 jeep one on mine now and really need to do something differant (better)

Well, we also replaced a rear axle shaft yesterday. It turned out that the ones for my axle are scarce as hens teeth. I found a guy in Bonney Lake with two. I will eventually go to alloy axles, but now have a stock replacement and a spare. I had to haul away an old, 16 spline 60 (complete) in order to get the 30 spline shafts that I needed.

By the way, Andy, your heater is still at Kevin's.

Is it the same master as with non power brakes ? I have the 78 jeep one on mine now and really need to do something differant (better)

78 Jeep what??? What size rear brakes?--->they had a couple different possibilities on CJ7 w/ manual brakes...

78 Jeep what??? What size rear brakes?--->they had a couple different possibilities on CJ7 w/ manual brakes...

Jeeze I dont know.... Its off of a 78 cj with disc brakes (front) and drum rear. The brakes on mine are scout in the front (discs) and one of Danny Simonsons disc brake kits in the rear.

Jeeze I dont know.... Its off of a 78 cj with disc brakes (front) and drum rear. The brakes on mine are scout in the front (discs) and one of Danny Simonsons disc brake kits in the rear.

either you have a 1" bore, or 1.0625" bore on your current M/C....the e350 one has 1.125 (1 1/8") bore...looks like it should fit with maybe some modifying...appears to be body style m/c...Oh, and you'll either need to put the right ends on the lines, or get adapters as the thread sizes are different...:redneck: