• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Broken bolt removal

RKCRWLR

SNORT MEMBER
So, I broke a bolt in my block putting on my water pump. tried to get it out with a EZ out & broke that as well. The bolt & the EZ are just a hair inside the block. I tried to get the EZ out with a punch by hitting it on the sides & trying to wiggle it loose. Does anyone have any Ideas on how to get this out?

broken bolt

a torch will work also. the bolt will heat up quicker then the cast iron will. done this on a few motorhomes with sucess.

If all else fail's, sand it flat, be very careful with a center punch, bolt the water pump on, drill it........VERY carefully, and re tap it.

More than likely at this point the residual will come out, if it doesn't seem to grab very good, size up the bolt, and don't do that again tough guy.

I WANT A RE-MATCH!!!!!

FWIW...
Soak the broken bolt with penetrating oil. I prefer KROIL.
Any time you have to do this use a left hand drill to drill for the easy out.
Drill all the way through the bolt with the left handed bit. Often the left-handed bit will unscrew the broken bolt...
Should the easy out snap off you at least have a remote chance of beating it through the bolt and can try again!
That or do the weld a nut on...

Good Luck!

I got it out finally. Tried some heat didn't work to well. To small of a bolt to weld to. I had drilled through the bolt, so I punched the ez out all the way through & started drilling. Put the timing chain cover on for a guide.

Latest posts