• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building a 5.7L Vortec ('99)

Matt O. said:
Bryan said they were getting huge gains with the cams. Like 50-75 ft lbs of torque. He said it is the most bang for the buck on these motors.

Maybe it was mentioned above, but Bryan who? I would love to have 50-75 ft lbs more torque. That would keep me from buying the 6.0. Also, what gains are to be had from injectors?

I have no ideas on injectors, will probably go with the upgraded kit from GM when the time comes. Bryan Cole of Coleworx and his dad build great motors. He added a ramjet cam, exhaust and sent the computer to Jim's on BlueTurd's 5.7 and he said it was night and day. He told me that there is not a ton you can do with the factory computer, but once you add cam, filter, headers and exhaust and have the computer flashed you are done with the "cheap" mods for this motor. After that you are into heads, intake, bottom end, etc and that costs $

lance4351 said:
I love my 6.0 its pepper.gif

I am sure I would too, but I alreasdy have this 5.7 in the buggy and it runs good, just want a little more.
Where uis a good place to source a ramjet cam? P/N?

Hey MattO, Bryan did not do my motor. Me and my brother (damnitboy) did the work on my motor but Cole did the exhuast when he had the jeep. There is quite a bit that Jim can do the computer. He turned the fuel up a bunch, played with the timing and the TPS sensor and some more that I probably wouldn't understand. The research that I did on the injectors was performance wise they would not help that much. I was told to buy them if I was having trouble with them but if the factory injectors were runnin ok save my money. The #s on the cam are way different between 1.5 and 1.6 rockers. I did 1.6 rollers. We will probably be in Garendale in Feb. if you want to look and listen. Hope this helps.

i know what a 6,0 with the l92 heads and escalade intake and nick williams tb and gm cam will do
it is more than you will ever need
ask jr and p how it did this past weekend on hillbilly hill
btw not my jeep but my brothers

but vortec 5.7's if you go by the truck nerd web sites you will not get much over 400 out of them without a full on build but then it aint a vortec 5.7 and you could of had a 6.0 with the money it will take

BlueTurd said:
Hey MattO, Bryan did not do my motor. Me and my brother (damnitboy) did the work on my motor but Cole did the exhuast when he had the jeep. There is quite a bit that Jim can do the computer. He turned the fuel up a bunch, played with the timing and the TPS sensor and some more that I probably wouldn't understand. The research that I did on the injectors was performance wise they would not help that much. I was told to buy them if I was having trouble with them but if the factory injectors were runnin ok save my money. The #s on the cam are way different between 1.5 and 1.6 rockers. I did 1.6 rollers. We will probably be in Garendale in Feb. if you want to look and listen. Hope this helps.

I will be there in Feb and would love to check it out. Do you have part numbers or info on the Ramjet cam? My injectors are fine so maybe I will not have to mess with them. I think I will be just fine with these mods to my 5.7 considering what my power to weight ratio will be and spinning 39's is easier than 44's. :flipoff1:

Yes you can run the lifter you have, just need the cam and rocker arms. I did have to take the lifters apart and clean then them out, they were sticking a little.

I found out a stock 5.7 vortec will not last long against the rev limiter, ovaled some rods in mine and instead of going back stock I did the 383 using Eagle rotating assy, and put a GMPP cam with roller rockers and a little more comp than stock, and had the comp tuned, overall spent about 1300$, definately makes more than stock but I'm a little dissappointed, I've always run BBC and this motor still has no low end, I am going to put a little stall conv to see if that helps cause it is real strong in the mid, overall it is probably the last SBC I'll use in a 4x4.

Adam Woodlee run a 5.7 vortec in his s10 he used to wheel and run the hell out of it for a pretty good while. I will bet nobody was harder on one than he was and far as I know it was still running when he sold it. Me and my nephew have been hard on ours for about 4 years now and knock on wood no problems. I have a 2400 stall in mine, seems to work pretty good.

millerxc said:
I found out a stock 5.7 vortec will not last long against the rev limiter, ovaled some rods in mine and instead of going back stock I did the 383 using Eagle rotating assy, and put a GMPP cam with roller rockers and a little more comp than stock, and had the comp tuned, overall spent about 1300$, definately makes more than stock but I'm a little dissappointed, I've always run BBC and this motor still has no low end, I am going to put a little stall conv to see if that helps cause it is real strong in the mid, overall it is probably the last SBC I'll use in a 4x4.

Mine was better than yours then. I used to sit on the limiter on mine just because I was young and thought it was funny. Those motors are usualy there for the long haul.

Woodlee said:
Mine was better than yours then. I used to sit on the limiter on mine just because I was young and thought it was funny. Those motors are usualy there for the long haul.

Yah, I remember Tub Rock for 13 minutes straight. There wasn't a mosquito around for 100 miles. (smiley face choking) thumb.gif

yeah, I don't get the luck some have. The tall ass tahoe I did last winter had a stock 5.7 vortec (99 tahoe) and it had just been put in. the 200K motor took a ****. put in a perfectly running 84k vortec from a 98 chevy truck that was rear ended. it lasted all of 5 trips out.
Then a 160k liftout from a 97 went in. didn't have much for balls adn spun a rod in a mud hole in 1 outing. he sold the rig in anger with several sets of vortec heads and parts just laying in his garage. the sheep has a bone stock vortec long block out of a 98 chevy and no rev limiter. that bitch will wind all day and take the heat. all I did was clean the sticking lifters and strap another set of heads on it (the stock heads were stolen for another engine, went with brand new vortecs from gmpp). i guess some have good luck, some have bad ???