• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building a 5.7L Vortec ('99)

Beyer

DC1
First off, I know very little about 'building' an engine.
I got a good deal a few years back on my 5.7 Vortec (low mileage). My motor runs pretty good now, but could always use more. I keep getting mixed opinions on building a 5.7L Vortec. Some say it is hard to get it to run correctly with mods, others say no big deal. Anyone have any experience with these motors beyond stock?
Currently it has stock internals, headers, 2.5" exhaust, K&N, computer reflash that was supposed to be good for about 25 HP (Ed Wright/Fast Chips here in Tulsa). So I am guessing the current HP at 275-300???
What could I get with a cam? Roller Rockers?
Are heads a waste of time on a motor with Vortec heads (I hear they flow really well already)?
Fast Chips said they would reflash the computer after my mods for $150.
How reasonable and reliable would 350 HP be? 400?

I keep debating on doing this or going to a 6.0L.
I estimate it will cost me roughly $3,500-$4,000 to swap in a 6.0L and could get about 375 HP from Intake, exhaust, and computer reflash.
On the other hand my chassis is already set-up for this motor (motor mounts and fire wall), computer, wiring harness, flywheel, torque converter, York compressor, and some spare parts.

What do you guys think?

We built a 383 Vortec for my dads jeep last year and he loves it. We used a ZZ4 crate engine cam shaft and an eagle rotating assembly. The stainless steel rocker arms that clear stock valve covers and all of that good stuff. Call Ed Wright at fast chips and do what he says do to it and you will be happy with it and he will have the tune dead on when he flashes the computer.

Still with this being said IF it is not enough power ( I don't know what numbers you will be at) You are done with the stock vortec intake and electronics. There isn't anything more you can do.

If you do a 6.0 the power will be about the same ( seat of the parts feel from what I have drove ) and you upgrade options are endless. You can get way more power from these thing than you will ever use.

Hope this helps man.

FIrst thing, ditch the POS factory injectors, that arn't really injectors, they are poppets. GM makes an upgrade, that uses injectors. Call Jim at jimsperformance, he's pretty good with all the EFI chevy stuff, I'm sure he'd have some advice.

Factory crap, very problomatic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVROLET-GMC-TRUCK-5-0-5-7-VORTEC-FUEL-INJECTOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ33554QQihZ019QQitemZ290240560095QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

This place makes a replacement. GM makes it too, I just can't find it

http://www.theautoshop.net/VortecMPFI.htm

Jims

http://jimsperformance.com/

my s-10 runs a vortec , i built to a 383 running a high energy carb cam from comp cams. we did a injector conversion and had the computer programmed by superchips. we sent the engine specs and computer to them, and they programmed it. it has 445 hp at the flywheel. it idles about a grand do to low intake vac. but never has a problem braking parts on running when i need it.

mine has the same motor as you Beyer. Mine is stock as can be, stock manifolds, no flash and a K&N filter. I have thought about trying to get some more out of it but don't know if it is worth the time or money

For anyone wanting to change the poppets to injectors and wanted to order it from GM, the place to get them from is www.gmpartsdirect.com. I ordered the parts yesterday and the parts needed are listed below:

Part: 93441235*
Category: Fuel Injector
Description: INJECTOR
Min.Qty: 1
Unit Price: $276.44
Quantity: 1
Ext.Price: $276.44
Core Charge: $0.00
--------------------------------------------------------
Part: 93442096*
Category: Fuel Injector
Description: BRACKET
Unit Price: $7.89
Ext.Price: $7.89
--------------------------------------------------------
Part: 17113206*
Category: Manifold Gasket
Description: SEAL KIT
Unit Price: $23.71
Ext.Price: $23.71
==================================================================

SUB TOTAL: $308.04
SHIPPING: $55.45
TAX: $0.00
TOTAL WITH TAXES: $ 363.49

I have had problems with a rough idle and wanted to do this to help. I will let everyone know if I feel a performance difference from this.

J.A.B said:
JWP - you get yours running Sat?

I never did. I think that it is the fuel pump. I am getting a fuel pressure gauge today to check it. I went ahead and ordered these new injectors because I felt now is the time to fix it and be done with it.

I wanted to bump this back up because I am curious on what you can do to these motors without breaking the bank. Mine is stock except a K&N Filter and Magnaflow Exhaust. It has a Howell Harness I know, but it has not been turned up at all. I would really like to make it turn up quick and have plenty of low end power. I talked to Gregg C a good bit about this and we discussed headers, cam and custom tune. I am looking for opions on this and if there is other things you can do like heads or injection that will get this thing putting out more power? I know jack **** about engine building and performance, I have researched a bit but all the part numbers and slang confuses me...

Through the grapevine, I am told that Jeff Mason (Blueturd) is running the 5.7 and has installed a Ramjet camshaft and reprogrammed the computer and has it turning up very well. Add the extras, headers, injectors, etc, and I am sure it will improve nicely at minimal cost. Maybe jeff will chime in and let us know the real story. :dunno:

http://www.lamarwaldenautomotive.com/

This is the guy that built my motor that I am using. He has been building motors for my dad and grandpa for years for their mud trucks and they hold up very well. I am shure he can help you out if you give him a call.

Yeah the injector upgrade is a cheap and easy item that needs to be done, as Jim said. I also found that Summit sells a RamJet intake setup that bolts up to Vortec heads and it is not too bad cost wise. But it does not have electronics or injectors. I left a message with Bryan because he comes highly recommended on engine building. I think a cam, headers and computer work would have mine working really nice.

We put a ramjet cam and 1.6 roll rockers in Jeff's motor with a Jim's performance tune on the computer along with a set of headers and it really woke his motor up. He only spent about $1,000.00 doing it and it was well worth it. The good thing is with Jim's performance is after sending the computer to him a couple times he has it dailed in pretty good and knows what to do to anyone else's that need it done.

heck, any ideas on saving my TBI motor before I dump it in the lake and get me a 6.0?

LOL.

I am really happy with the way this motor runs. It turns up very good and is very dependable. The best thing is it is low maintance and for the amount of $ I have in it, I cant beat it. It makes good bottom end power and pulls all the way to the rev limiter.

BlueTurd said:
I am really happy with the way this motor runs. It turns up very good and is very dependable. The best thing is it is low maintance and for the amount of $ I have in it, I cant beat it. It makes good bottom end power and pulls all the way to the rev limiter.

Thanks for the info guys, I talked to Bryan about this tonight and he told me that your motor will light up the tires in a hurry. Sounds like a plan for after KOH. This is more of a long term mod for me, but when he has some down time and I am gonna have him hook it up!

Let me know what you do and how it turns out. I am thinking of going to a 6.0, but my 5.7 is in there and runs good. I just want a little more. I do have a filter, headers, and custom tune from Fast chips. I was also thinking a cam and not sure on the injectors. What injectors are you looking at and wat kind of power gains are they supposed to give?

I am going to line up with a few of my buddies that are doing 6.0 swaps this winter and see if the hype is real or not. :dunno:

Bryan said they were getting huge gains with the cams. Like 50-75 ft lbs of torque. He said it is the most bang for the buck on these motors.

Matt O. said:
Bryan said they were getting huge gains with the cams. Like 50-75 ft lbs of torque. He said it is the most bang for the buck on these motors.

Im sure that is with a good exhaust system in place.... thats the biggest problem with yours it cant possibly breathe with the current exhaust. Probably why it feels so slow to get RPM's. thumb.gif