• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building a 6.0

85toyo

It all depends on your total setup. Why buy the best flowing heads you can get and then throw a set of shorty headers on it and choke it back down.I would rather have a decent set of aluminum heads for the weight savings, and get a set that will raise the compression up.For what we do 400 horse will climb what ya need to climb anything more just seems to break crap! Look at Shelby tanners black buggy it will climb whatever you point it at and hardly ever breaks, and it doesn't sound like it's built very much at all,just my two cents

The L92 heads flow good and would work great on a drag car, maybe not so hot for a 4x4. If you look at the Dyno chart from the link you posted they make less power and torque from idle to 4800rpm. Unless your building an engine for point and shoot hill climbing you might be better off with the stock heads.

FullThrottle89 said:
Ls6 heads cast #243 or cast # 799. best flowing and compression of any stock ls series head.

Maybe in 2005. Stock L92 heads flow better than ported Ls6 stuff.

vidio1 said:
The L92 heads flow good and would work great on a drag car, maybe not so hot for a 4x4. If you look at the Dyno chart from the link you posted they make less power and torque from idle to 4800rpm. Unless your building an engine for point and shoot hill climbing you might be better off with the stock heads.
this makes the l92 heads sound about perfect for a lot of people on here... molaugh

Send the stock truck heads off to get decked and ported. I'd think that the extra grunt on the bottom end will make the rig feel much stronger compared to the high rpm hp

mrdrinksalil said:
if you run the L92 heads you are also gonna need a new intake. Most cost effective increase for you is gonna be having your heads worked and a cam swap.

If you go the l92 route, here is some good info.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/completebuilds_testing/sucp_0806_budget_ls_engine_buildup/viewall.html
I know I need a new intake with the l92. I haven't priced out the intake yet but it shouldnt be to bad looking at the price on heads.

Has anyone put a 6.0 on a dyno with just head work and a cam?

If remember right matt o's lq4. With a gm hot cam dynoed 295 at the tires. So that's got to be over 400.

5.3 heads with stage 2.5 port work from Texas Speed and performance. Get that compression up and a good cam (let Texas Speed spec it for you) and let her eat. Spend the money and get a 92 mm or big mouth Fast intake to finish out the combo.

Dont forget to get it DYNO TUNED. NO MAIL ORDER TUNES!!!

YOUNG said:
Dont forget to get it DYNO TUNED. NO MAIL ORDER TUNES!!!

x100000000000

My stock lq4, only major mod is block higher headers and with efi live tune made 295 to the ground.

wizzo said:
x100000000000

My stock lq4, only major mod is block higher headers and with efi live tune made 295 to the ground.

Mail order tunes is were a bunch of guys go wrong. None of these engines will run correct with any mods and a mail order tune.

295 to the ground is really good for a stock LQ4 and going through a t-case.

I've seen a bunch of LS cars on the dyno with a "mail order" tune make less power than they did stock. Then you take the same car and dyno tune it after that run and I've seen cars pick up 50 hp because they tuned the engine to take advantage of the mods.