• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building my junk.

I had to turn Eddie around so I could do the 8.8 swap. So, here is his maden voyage outside on 30s. :D

SUNP1134.jpg

SUNP1135.jpg

SUNP1136.jpg

soaken up the sun :cool: . When did you decide to clean the outside? Or is that from walking beside it as you worked on it? Ha Ha.

Looks a bit higher :clappy: :clappy:

It takes to damn long to build these things. :sad:

I washed it before it went into the garage in an attempt to miniumize the amount of dirt that would be falling on me... I'd hate to see hwo much would be If I hadn't.

Got the 7.5 out, and the shock mounts cut off of it. Ready for Snowthrower to come over in the morning and lay some beads.

SUNP1138.jpg

I also got the t-case yoke swapped for the flange to go with the new rear driveshaft, and the new rear shocks on. I'm beat.

Fawk it was hot today. Snowthrower came by the morning and had the perches and shock mounts on in 2 hours. I spent the afternoon putting the 8.8 in... interupted by water breaks and going to pick-a-part to get some sploder 8.8 spring plates... since the 8.8 ranger plates don't work and are the same as 7.5 spring plates... :enraged:

anyway.. pics. The welder makes my camera freak out. :D

SUNP1139.jpg

SUNP1141.jpg

SUNP1143.jpg

SUNP1144.jpg

SUNP1145.jpg

SUNP1147.jpg

looking pretty cool nice to see some one use the ttb instead od solid axleing it
yah welders do make for cool pictures
didnt clean the surface to well that were all the slag is coming from on mine

DSCF0364.jpg

Well, I'm fawking done for the summer...

I popped the rear main cap off to reaplace the rear main seal... and the bearing was scratched/grooved/pitted and down to copper. All the mains, and all the rods are fawking done. The crank needs to be ground. I'm out of money. See ya in October.

I'm gonna tear into the spare 302 in the corner of my garage and hope the crank, by some miricle, may be in better shape. Wish me luck... Hopefully I will only be set back a couple of months..

Allllll riiiight!!! We're back in business! :clappy:

Pulled the spare 302 apart today and got a pleasant surprise. The crank was STD/STD and will clean up with a polishing. I wasn't expecting that. :rockon:

Goes to the machine shop tomarrow. :cheer:

good-302-crank1.jpg

good-302-crank2.jpg

Crank R&R 101... pistons and rods still in the block.

First, make sure that fresh crank is nice and clean. Scrub her with hot soapy goodness to get rid of the machineing debries. Take some galley brushes to all the oil passenges. Yes, I am a batchlor. :D

clean-crank.jpg

Make sure you get it rinsed, dried, and oiled as soon as possible... cause that flash rust is a bitch.

Mark the bearing caps so you don't mix them up.

rod-numbering.jpg

The pic doesn't have the detail... but bearings aren't supposed to be copper colored with grooves. :puke:

fuct-bearings.jpg

After you remove the main and rod bearing caps.. the crank pretty much comes straight up out of there.

crankless.jpg

It takes a couple of people to put the new crank in. One to lower it in, one to guide and line up the rods onto the journals.

new-crank-in.jpg

About an hour's more time, and you get all the clearances checked, and all the caps torqued.

302-finished.jpg

Some more time, and the bottom end is ready to be buttoned up. :)

bottomend-complete.jpg

Hopefully I will get it painted and the rest of the motor closed up and ready to drop in tomarrow.

Last edited: