• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Buying used parts

mna0121

Hope to get lots of responses from both sides on this. When you buy a used part from someone do you expect any kind of honesty? I could have worded that as warranty, in my opinion it is the same thing. As an example, if I purchase a bucket of stuff from you, for say $5, don't ask questions and walk away, that transaction is complete even if said bucket turns out to coast another $5 to throw in the landfill. If I ask you questions about the state of repair of items in the bucket and told all items are in working order should seller be held accountable for the condition of the items in the bucket and to what extent? If there is any intrest in this thread I certainly will explane my position on the subject and where I am going with it.

The example is not very relevant, but I think I see where your headed.

If I purchase a used part I expect it to be what it's supposed to be. Now if I buy a used axle shaft and it snaps on the first trip, that's my fault. If I buy a used diff and it needs bearings immediately, I am pissed.

I try to be as honest as possible, like saying, "It worked on my Bronco, but that was 5 years ago. Who knows now?" I feel that if I threw that in there, it's on him. If I sold the man a Dana 44 with a bent tube, I knew it was bent and sold it to him "in perfect condition", I can expect a rightly deserved ass kicking.

I just got burned on a Jeep myself.... it was supposed to have 4.88s and all six shafts were yukon chromolys. I picked it up in the dead of night after a six hour drive and took his word for it. 4.10s and 5 factory shafts in these built to the hilt axles :****:

Oh how this reminds me of the 44's i got from that fawkin peter puffer Brian, BT(on here). If someone says the dam tires hold air fine and they all are fuked except one.. Then hell yes i think they should fukin be held responsible, or be tortured, which ever,.(yeah im still butt hurt) When i sell somthing i tell EVERYTHING i know about it, if i dont know then im honest and say i dont know.. That easy. Now if someone sells somthing "as is" and tells u they have no clue if it works then they shouldnt be held responsible, seeing how they were honest. Its kinda funny u brought this up.. The same fawk wad sold a buggy about a year ago, similar to the one he listed on here a couple months back,,, 18000 buks is what he sold it for.. Man wata a small world, i ran into the guy he sold it to, turns out he lives 10 min from me!! We were at chocco, he was telling me the 18k buggy tha **** sold him that "has a corvette motor and runs perfect" had been being worked on for 7 months!! He finally got it to where it would run. And of course Bryan's reply was about like what he told me.. "Well what do you want me to do about it?" What a piece of ****. I just cant imagine scammin someone on a part, much less a 20000 dollar buggy.

I've bought three used motors with supposed low miles. All three were worn more than represented the first time I had to take them apart. I'll never buy a used motor again. Crate or rebuilt only.

If you pick it up. Look at it and do whatever needed to test it. Taillight warranty. If shipped, it gets a little tougher, if misrepresented, I figure 24 hours after receipt. Depending on the issue, depends of who pays the freight both ways, or split.

This **** of, I bought something from you and just now getting around to installing it umteen years later, fuk you.

When I buy I ask a **** load of questions. Sometimes ones that don't make sense to the seller but that's what I do to check the validity of the product and seller. When I show up whether at night or day I always check it out. It's how I am. If the guy wants to sell **** at night then we are gonna set up work lights and verify depending on how good of a deal it is.

But.... There have been a couple times where I have been in a big hurry to buy something and I forget to ask something or I just buy sight unseen. In a way it's on me for being impatient.

So I kinda feel that in a situation stated above when a truck load of promises are put out there but those all seem to be things that are hidden inside of something, I dont drive hours to pick it up without proof. As a buyer you have a responsibility not to **** yourself. Ask questions and be smart. Otherwise a percentage of the ****ing is on you :)

Does that make sense? I'm not defending a bad seller, just that as a buyer it's your money, so you gotta make sure you're getting what you pay for.

yankster said:
I've bought three used motors with supposed low miles. All three were worn more than represented the first time I had to take them apart. I'll never buy a used motor again. Crate or rebuilt only.

This is why it's always better to find a motor that is still in the vehicle. The odometer doesn't lie.

Of course buying new is better if you have the money but that's not an option for everyone.

I drove 4 hours round trip to buy a transmission and transfer case that was posted on here last year. I didn't have the time to work on it at the time so I put it on a pallet and covered it up. Several months later when I separated the trans and case I found the transfer case input bearing was broke. The price of a complete rebuild wasn't much more than a input bearing so I decided to go that route and I'm glad I did. The case was full of mud and all of the bearings were trash.

If I had noticed these problems the day after the purchase, I probably would have asked for a refund or some time of compensation to help cover the rebuild but I waited to long and really wouldn't expect him to help out now.

Re: Re: Re: Buying used parts

muddinmetal said:
I just got burned on a Jeep myself.... it was supposed to have 4.88s and all six shafts were yukon chromolys. I picked it up in the dead of night after a six hour drive and took his word for it. 4.10s and 5 factory shafts in these built to the hilt axles :****:

That's common... Especially on "whore rigs" that everyone and their cousin has owned...

I've heard both of these statements when looking at rigs for sale:

"It has chromolys in it, cause I've been real rough on it and they never broke"
And
"It has 5.13s, cause it's a lot slower than my papaws truck"

I *think* some people think "513s" or "488" gears just means that it has lower gears than most factory vehicles of the same make and model...

Kinda like people who say "it has a stall" when referring to a higher stall torque converter (or a trans that is about to take a ****, in most cases)

I try to be as honest as possible, if I don't know about something I just say"I don't know" A lot of folks will BS their way thru a sale. One thing I do all the time now is if the buyer pays in cash, (which now days you better deal in cash) and the buyer counts the money out, I will pick up the cash and count it out again in front of him. I sold a Jeep YJ a few years ago, it had a bad rod bearing and transmission and told the guy, he looked at the jeep and we agreed on the price. The guy seemed nice enough so I let my guard down and when he was counting out the 100 dollar bills, I just assumed he was counting correctly. Well once he left I counted the cash and he had shorted me 100 clams. I call his cell and he said the full amount was there, so it was my word against his. I chalked it up to a lesson learned, so again I always count the cash after they do. As far as the guy, I found out he runs a Jeep shop and of course I make sure everyone I know don't buy from his a$$. Karma is a bitch. ;D

On used vehicles I'll go as far as checking the cash with one if those markers. Last truck I sold I met the guy at a gas station and took a couple random 100's inside to let the lady at the counter check them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

I guess I am lucky because I havent had many issues buying parts. Which I usually try to buy stuff so cheap that even if it is junk im not out much. When selling I will try to tell the buyer everything I can about the item and if I dont know then I just tell them I dont know. If it turns out the part was junk then im more than willing to make it right

When I sell something, I sell it in the very way I would like a seller to present something to me that I was interested in. If there **** wrong with it, I fix it before selling or I make you well aware of any flaws. I go above and beyond to do this....multiple pictures, all info of my experience while owning said item, and you are welcome to come check it out and bring your buddies to check it out before transaction is made, even test ride/drive if applicable.

When you leave my presence with an item you just bought from me, you will have no reason to ever say that I screwed you on anything. That's just how I work. Wish everybody was like that.

Re: Re: Re: Buying used parts

TBItoy said:
That's common... Especially on "whore rigs" that everyone and their cousin has owned...

I've heard both of these statements when looking at rigs for sale:

"It has chromolys in it, cause I've been real rough on it and they never broke"
And
"It has 5.13s, cause it's a lot slower than my papaws truck"

I *think* some people think "513s" or "488" gears just means that it has lower gears than most factory vehicles of the same make and model...

Kinda like people who say "it has a stall" when referring to a higher stall torque converter (or a trans that is about to take a ****, in most cases)

The guy who said it had all this stuff is someone I have bought from before and sells here somewhat regularly. Everything else has been as he represented, but then again that doesn't fix my getting ****ed

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying used parts

muddinmetal said:
The guy who said it had all this stuff is someone I have bought from before and sells here somewhat regularly. Everything else has been as he represented, but then again that doesn't fix my getting ****ed

Which Jeep did you buy?

When I sell I go into way more detail then I should at times. I don't leave any detail out. I act just like I would want someone who I am buying from to act. Now if something is wrong I will tell them what i know. Has stuff got by me before? Yep sure has. I always do my best to make it right. I sold a guy a car one time and he called me every week for 6 months asking me questions on how to fix it after he beat it to hell and back. At first this was cool but then he started to act like it was my fault.

My rule of thumb is once it leaves the driveway its yours. But I would take care whomever if a problem is present and found early not 6 months from now after its been abused or set in the weather getting destroyed.

I sold a 200k+ mile Toyota that had been in the woods since the 90s to a guy. He had it for a month and called me saying the steering wheel fell off, caused him to wreck into a tree, go part way through the windshield, and that its my fault because I knew the steering wheel was going to fall off. He even threatened to sue me if I didn't give his money back. I had no way of knowing what was going to break or fall of a month later.... My point is people are idiots, and no matter what you tell them if something goes wrong it'll be your fault. And buying used **** from a stranger and believing what they tell you comes back around to being your fault if something is wrong.