• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Buying used parts

This is why a bad seller thread should't exist. No matter what it always ends up the buyer's fault for not disassembling everything down the the last nut and bolt. God forbid you take a man's word nowadays.

One thing I know is this crawling community is small...everyone knows everyone or someone that does. You screw somebody and it gets around fast and will stay with you. Thats why I like dealing with people on here....we police our own.

I always try to go above and beyond when selling someone something. If I don't know I tell them I don't know. People are more than welcome to inspect heavily. If they come to me within a couple days and tell me something was ****ed up, then I'll gladly give them a refund and take my broken part back. Business or individual, customer service is the most important thing you can do.

As for buying I try to always check **** as much as possible. Some things aren't that easy like engines, but most things can be verified before purchasing.

I carried Marsha on a date once, spent 18 bucks at Western sizzlin, and that bitch was wore slap ass out! I didnt get my money back!

Am I the only one who looks at post count and previous post before entering in a transaction with someone?

Eddyj said:
Am I the only one who looks at post count and previous post before entering in a transaction with someone?

If I'm planning to do a FTF transaction I usually don't. If I'm going to have something shipped I probably would. I don't have a problem making a several hour trip to pick up something that is worthwhile. Talking with someone on the phone and locking in all the details before hand is a must when you are traveling 4-6hrs to pick up an item. If you aren't sure you are both on the same page before you hit the road it's your own fault.

I had some asshole sell a winch out from under me after we had agreed to meet the coming weekend. Had a deal, I called him to make sure it was still on (had his address and everything already) and he didn't answer. I drove 2.5hrs to his house to meet at the designated time, calling several times and he wouldn't answer. Got to his house and his brother called him which he answered immediately and then told me on that call that he sold it and we didn't have any deal since someone showed up w/ cash. I get that, but answer your f-ing phone. My bad for making the drive when I felt like something was up. It won't happen again.

btw, someone buy my wheels. LOL thumb.gif

mna0121 said:
Hope to get lots of responses from both sides on this. When you buy a used part from someone do you expect any kind of honesty? I could have worded that as warranty, in my opinion it is the same thing. As an example, if I purchase a bucket of stuff from you, for say $5, don't ask questions and walk away, that transaction is complete even if said bucket turns out to coast another $5 to throw in the landfill. If I ask you questions about the state of repair of items in the bucket and told all items are in working order should seller be held accountable for the condition of the items in the bucket and to what extent? If there is any intrest in this thread I certainly will explane my position on the subject and where I am going with it.

You have to consider the description. If the seller says it's a good bucket of useful junk then. I would expect junk, but I'd also expect a good bucket. I'd expect the handle to be in good shape and the bucket to hold water.

If we take this example to dana 60 front axle and there was almost no description I'd still expect it to be complete and other than wear items no major issues. Ujoints might be shot and seals toasted, but I'd be upset to find a broken axle shaft or ring and pinion.

Or one hub full of muddy goop and rust? The one I got was a good enough price I didn't care though.

Eddyj said:

I do that. I also search for their name on other forums and look up their posts there. If I know their first and last name I Google their arrest records. (I pay for several background check services for my companies and NONE of them are as good as Google.) Like someone mentioned previously, I ask them questions via chit chat and small talk that they probably don't realize even pertain to the part in question. I look for holes in their general story, not just the part history. On top of all that, I generally won't buy anything used that isn't so cheap that I would be mad to have to completely rebuild it. If its just like 20-30% off the new price I'll generally just buy new instead to save any hassle.

Basically, I trust no one and pay so little that it wouldn't be worth my time to have to try and recoup. I don't recall ever having been so screwed that I was mad.

Oh, and when I'm going to go meet someone I don't know, I google their address and look at the satellite view. I look for areas around the property that they could hide a group of people to jump me with. I also look for a second way out as a backup. Before I let them know I'm there I circle the property from the safety of my vehicle and look for ambushes, paying special attention to any caution areas that I noticed on the areal view. On the way there I ask for how many people to "help lift" will be there. If there are a bunch more than they said I try to stay close to my weapons.

zukimaster said:
Dam dude, I bet your one of those prepper people i watch on t.v.! just giving you ****! thumb.gif

****, I ain't got the money to prep like they do. :****:

Honestly before my daughter I didn't care about any of this ****. I'd go into everything head-long, no regards for safety. But now every situation I go into I think about wanting to be there to see her graduate, get married, do her first ballet, etc. I'll be damned if I'm going to miss out on that **** just for a $150 40-year-old t-case or something.

patooyee said:
I look for areas around the property that they could hide a group of people to jump me with. I also look for a second way out as a backup. I circle the property from the safety of my vehicle and look for ambushes, paying special attention to any caution areas. I try to stay close to my weapons.
That's how I come home everyday :****: Too many :afro: :afro: :afro: and heroin junkies around here now.

Ok, I am the op,er so as promised here is why I started this. I have a thread over in tech and fab "my first LS build". I had a 6.0 in the garage for several years when a set of Trick Flow heads came up FS on Drag Coverage. I called the guy 1st question will they fit the 6.0? Yes, that is what they came off of. 2nd are they bolt on ready to work? Yes, they are fresh out of the head shop.
Not enough room here to state everything we talked about but most important may sway your opinion. He told me the engine they were on exploded ruining the block, two rods and two pistons. The heads suffered shrapnel damage. He sold them to another guy but he wanted them fixed and would get them once they were done. Once out of the shop, guy couldn't come up with the cash so they were listed and along I came.
These heads are the reason I started the build. Once the build was almost complete I wired the ignition switch and spun the engine with the starter and primed the electric water pump. Later I noticed water on the floor. Today we removed the head and found that it is not flat. Earlier this week I emailed the guy and told him what I thought was going on and asked what he thought, I wanted to end with a question for some sort of reply. I have asked him several questions via email since buying the heads and he has always responded, not this time. Time of using the product was mentioned earlier, it has been six to eight months but I started the build shortly after getting the heads.
My question is obvious but really I would be happy if he would pay the shop bill if the head is repairable. If not repairable would you give a guy his money back?

mna0121 said:
Ok, I am the op,er so as promised here is why I started this. I have a thread over in tech and fab "my first LS build". I had a 6.0 in the garage for several years when a set of Trick Flow heads came up FS on Drag Coverage. I called the guy 1st question will they fit the 6.0? Yes, that is what they came off of. 2nd are they bolt on ready to work? Yes, they are fresh out of the head shop.
Not enough room here to state everything we talked about but most important may sway your opinion. He told me the engine they were on exploded ruining the block, two rods and two pistons. The heads suffered shrapnel damage. He sold them to another guy but he wanted them fixed and would get them once they were done. Once out of the shop, guy couldn't come up with the cash so they were listed and along I came.
These heads are the reason I started the build. Once the build was almost complete I wired the ignition switch and spun the engine with the starter and primed the electric water pump. Later I noticed water on the floor. Today we removed the head and found that it is not flat. Earlier this week I emailed the guy and told him what I thought was going on and asked what he thought, I wanted to end with a question for some sort of reply. I have asked him several questions via email since buying the heads and he has always responded, not this time. Time of using the product was mentioned earlier, it has been six to eight months but I started the build shortly after getting the heads.
My question is obvious but really I would be happy if he would pay the shop bill if the head is repairable. If not repairable would you give a guy his money back?

This sucks, but you should be able to shave the heads and rock on... more power!!!!

ibrokeit said:
IMO, after 8 months, outta luck. Best I'd hope is he is a good guy and might split the repair cost or something.

I hate it for you Shawn but I have to agree here. I know you wouldn't ever do it, but 8 months is plenty of time for someone to run some heads and screw them up if you honestly didn't know they were warped. In this case though it sounds like he knew they were warped and isn't returning your emails which is an even harder pill to swallow. Note to self if ever buying used heads: bring straight edge and flashlight.

Just wanted to let y'all know the guy I bought the heads from responded to my email, said he would help out as much as he can. He called the guy that did the work to the heads for him, supposed to get together after work. His response to my email means way more to me than the money and I am giving him props here!!! :dblthumb:
I am taking the head to the shop in the morning.

Wow....that's awesome...still some good people out there. Hope it gets fixed ...I been stressing for ya bro.

Re:

When I was first starting to build my jeep I found a ford 8.8 on craigslist with a spartan locker for $350. I know I could have gotten one from pullapart for about $100, but I was being lazy. The guy seemed like an alright guy so i drove 200miles to pick it up. It sat in the garage for a couple of months while I was getting it all ready to install. I bought artec brackets and truss for it got it all welded together..... then I finally did the axle swap, the locker was slipping and popping while going 5mph in a straight line. Pulled the spartan locker out to find several chipped teeth. The locker was the only reason why I got that axle. By this time I lost his number. So I got really screwed on that deal. Ended up spending several hundred dollars to get it drivable.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk