• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cage rework

ranger11

What's the best method to remove old tube and welds and still salvage the tube. Im looking for an easier way. My method involves a plasma cutter and lots of grinding. Looking to cut down on the grinding part.

I am up for something easier also, don't know that it is out there though. Not too many tools can get close enough to the what you are trying to save to eliminate the grinding. A sawsall will if you have room but it is slow , vibrates you to death and does not work around curves very well.

I had an idea one time but that's as far as it got basically a band saw blade that could be loose enough to wrap around the tube so you could cut right at the weld. The problem was bandsaw blades are welded together. Next idea was a reciprocating saw with a kinda frame over the top of the blade area with a shaft that moved with the blade so a loose blade could be connected between the normal blade mount and the shaft you would basically press down sideways against the tube and use it as a guide and to keep the slack out of the blade and use the tube as a guide? Maybe I should work on that second idea more and make my millions?

Re: Re: Re: Cage rework

Green Bean said:
Plasma is the easiest way. If fabrication was easy everyone would do it! Lol :dblthumb:
No doubt. If someone figures out an easier way or makes a tool that works better are you gonna keep doing it the hard way?