• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Campbells racing rzrs this year???

jeeptj99

Saw on Facebook the campbells are racing rzrs this year at koh but can't find out why. Didn't see anything on pirate anyone know why?

Tireball rule maybe?

Seemed to be a lot of butthurt over banning them in unlimited.

Unless I'm reading into incorrectly, it looks like they are just adding RZR's to their racing program. It looks like they are still racing 4400 as well.

jeeptj99 said:
Saw on Facebook the campbells are racing rzrs this year at koh but can't find out why. Didn't see anything on pirate anyone know why?

I think they are racing the RZRs and the buggies (cars) this year. Not seen FaceSpace stuff since I'm anti social so may be wrong on that.

Here is what it boils down to, taken from Ultra4 rule book:

6) Effective 1/1/18 Secondary Inflation Apparatus that retains the profile of the tire in
the event of a puncture will not be allowed. Tire Liner type products with a
functional outer diameter of no more than 27" will be allowed. Vehicles can and will
be tested at any time. First time offense, disqualification from the race. Second
time, season long suspension.

wizzo said:
Here is what it boils down to, taken from Ultra4 rule book:

6) Effective 1/1/18 Secondary Inflation Apparatus that retains the profile of the tire in
the event of a puncture will not be allowed. Tire Liner type products with a
functional outer diameter of no more than 27" will be allowed. Vehicles can and will
be tested at any time. First time offense, disqualification from the race. Second
time, season long suspension.

So basically they can't run tire balls or tubes? What about internal beadlocks?

Notice it doesn't go into effect until next year.

But yes, no tire balls or tubes. There are liners that desert racers use that are "acceptable". I don't see why the internal bead locks wouldn't fly. They are definitely not larger than 27" in outer diameter.

jeeptj99 said:
Hmm interesting. Wonder why?

a couple "reasons" were cited/discussed

1. it hurts tire development and discourages sponsor companies from developing new tires/using U4 as a test bed for new tech

2. it allows drivers disregard flats and drive WFO without the fear of flats

I have no idea how legitimate either of those reasons are, I just read through some discussions on it during lunch today.

When I stopped by the Campbell shop a few months ago, Shannon was still a little bent on the whole tireball thing because at that time it sounded like it was going to be pushed through for 2017. At the time, he was against it because their 3 buggies were not designed to carry a spare and Bailey's was the only one that was remotely easy to mount one on without changing a ton of other mounts for stuff. It even snowballed to the changes they would need to make in regards to a change in weight balance and shock tuning etc.

I get both sides of the argument, and TireBalls doesn't really give 2 shits if they lose the U4 market. Its a minuscule part of their sales. Their money is made in military and government contracts.

Just saw a pic on FB showing what looked like full size spare on green wheels in the hauler.

I saw that too. There was a picture on Instagram of Bailey under the buggies in the trailer. Looked like a sweet set up the way the buggies were hauled over the tool boxes/spare tires/spare parts. Out of all their buggies Bailey's is my favorite. I'd hate to run that race solo.

jeeptj99 said:
I saw that too. There was a picture on Instagram of Bailey under the buggies in the trailer. Looked like a sweet set up the way the buggies were hauled over the tool boxes/spare tires/spare parts. Out of all their buggies Bailey's is my favorite. I'd hate to run that race solo.

Setup just like a monster truck hauler. I dig it. thumb.gif