• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Campers, teach me

THE GUYrock

So in short I just picked up a Lance 865 for the family weekend / wheeling accommodations. I plan on putting it on my gooseneck soon to eliminate the hassle of loading and unloading it. And to have the closed in storage areas for the twin generators, spare propane tanks, and buggy parts, etc.

So the questions have started to build, solar kits? Pest control? Tricks for water systems cleanliness, stuff like that. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

419f136ed9e96e35030af0d9172224e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Make sure you have a good functioning Carbon Monoxide detector. No one likes to wake up dead. :****:

Take bars of Irish spring soap and cut it up into cubes and tuck away in corners of cubby holes and cabinets. Supposed to repel mice. I've never seen any signs of mice in mine and I've done that from the start.

Lots of folks put wind generators on their fish houses up here. Not sure how windy it gets there.

Look into an electric heater for when yall are plugged in. Quieter, a lot less dry, and you already paid for the electric.

A good cover...breathable.

Camper only totes. Make sure they get restocked when the trip is over. That way you don't have to keep packing and un packing the same ****.

scrambled said:
Camper only totes. Make sure they get restocked when the trip is over. That way you don't have to keep packing and un packing the same ****.

^^^This is a good idea, especially on small campers.
I installed a small dry erase board by the door in mine so I can write down anything I use the last of and replenish before next trip. (toilet paper, utensils, cups, etc.)
Also, I bought cheap cooking utensils, pots and pans of a different color than what is in the house. That way we know what goes back in the camper after getting it out of dishwasher.

We have the big vacuum storage bags that you use like a shop vac to seal up. We pack towels and wash cloths in one, and bed linens in separate bags, we always drop a dryer sheet in with them before they get sealed. Never musty always fresh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tell everybody your plumbing is always broken...that way all your buddies aren't coming in to take a dump.

Fill up the fresh water tank when you get to where you are going so you aren't toting extra weight. Make sure when you head home that you still have enough fresh water in the tank to flush out the black water tank when you dump it. Or better still if you can install an outside cleanout in the sewer line at your house, you can do all that when you get back home. Parts stores and walmarts sell RV specific antifreeze for winter months.

Re:

You guys are awesome. So the things I've done so far are put and angled access into my septic line at home, Put a no dumping notice out to frinds, went to Walmart and bought college dorm utensils and stuff for cooking, small electric space heater, flushed all tanks, got a new queen mattress. Put red pepper flakes and soap in corners and storage areas, cleaned out sealant and resealed to be safe. Put in 2 spare deep cycle battery and a solar panel.

Changed the sink head to one with a flex hose for pots, removed dinette table for room, new filter in AC and microwave vent. And ordered some of those VAC bags from Amazon.

Re: Re: Campers, teach me

mdo817 said:
We have the big vacuum storage bags that you use like a shop vac to seal up. We pack towels and wash cloths in one, and bed linens in separate bags, we always drop a dryer sheet in with them before they get sealed. Never musty always fresh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The dryer sheets are an awesome idea!

Re:

I put in a 30amp outlet to keep power on it for the tank warmers. My old man said he used to fill the black tank with ice cubes to help kind of blend/clean the tank before flushing.

I need to get the cover this week. I did have enough sense to cut back all tree limbs from being over it and put it behind my shop trying to keep the sun off of it as much as possible.

pholmann said:
Take bars of Irish spring soap and cut it up into cubes and tuck away in corners of cubby holes and cabinets. Supposed to repel mice. I've never seen any signs of mice in mine and I've done that from the start.

and dryer sheets work well too. never had an issue with our camper once we started using them.

do NOT hard mount it to the trailer. they are not built solid enough and are expected to flex a little while in the bed of a truck. we built a sub-frame for mine and then used the original mounts to tie it down with turnbuckles. worked awesome.

one with the cabinets done

Re:

Looks great, my buddy I got it from gave me the treated lumber "T" braces he made for it to be on the gooseneck. But it think I'm going to make a steel frame like yours. Have any other pics of your cabinets and how you built them?

26c28fe529fc18b31a26b839518399d2.jpg

Back when Kevin had it on his trailer. He had it held down with turnbuckles as well.

love the camo! i'll see if I can find some pics of the cabinets. we used pieces of AL and then some small struts for the door pieces. when you opened the door it would slowly open due to the strut. we made sure they were long enough to open far enough that you wouldn't "catch a corner"

the door pieces also had small square tubing to help with rigidity and also attached to the main hinge.

1tfrot said:
love the camo! i'll see if I can find some pics of the cabinets. we used pieces of AL and then some small struts for the door pieces. when you opened the door it would slowly open due to the strut. we made sure they were long enough to open far enough that you wouldn't "catch a corner"

the door pieces also had small square tubing to help with rigidity and also attached to the main hinge.
Thanks man, it matches the truck and trailer great. Guess I'll have to make the new buggy match too haha.

I just ordered some 40A urethane strips to put between the camper and the sled to keep it off the metal.

THE GUYrock said:
Thanks man, it matches the truck and trailer great. Guess I'll have to make the new buggy match too haha.

I just ordered some 40A urethane strips to put between the camper and the sled to keep it off the metal.

yes sir, need to!! I was rockin an all blacked out d-max, with my grey/black trailer and a black buggy. I went and changed things up and traded the black d-max for a brand new white one molaugh