• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Carbon river/glacier hike.

10/1-2 Carbon trip

Dave and I headed up to the mountain again this weekend to finally get up to the glacier.

We headed out saturday morning for the ranger station and began our hike around 11am.

Not far into the hike, we stopped in at the Washington Mining and Milling Co. Mine. This one is alot larger in diameter than the Clipper mine across the valley, but the FS has built a heavy angle iron fence about 10 feet in, so there's no exploring this one. :booo:
daeb3d18.jpg

Me in my best "crazy woodsman" attire. :redneck:
7fdfd186.jpg

abe1cd75.jpg

We got to the Ipsut campgrounds around 1:30, and luckily due to the rumor of bad weather, we were the only ones there. It actually turned out to be pretty dry the whole time, with the exeption of a couple hours of off and on sprinkles on sunday. :fawkdancesmiley:
4f246d9c.jpg

We decided to stick around camp the rest of saturday, and set out first thing sunday for the glacier. We stopped in at Ipsut falls to get some water for the trip.
9c3e57b8.jpg

Last edited:
This is a shot of the "icicle king" looking hillside from earlier in the thread.. not so menacing looking in the late summer...
bd360744.jpg

The FS has repaired the lower crossing, but the trail to the south side of the river is still washed out.
The footbridge over the main part of the river.
78959995.jpg

A shot upstream
10da3584.jpg

A wider shot upstream
9f383e78.jpg

We got to the suspension bridge and made the short hike to Carbon camp.
4b8886a0.jpg

7669d405.jpg

And the view we had made the journey to see.
c45962f9.jpg

Is the road still open to the Ipsut creek campground? Or do you have to park back before the flood damage on the entry road?

Is the road still open to the Ipsut creek campground? Or do you have to park back before the flood damage on the entry road?

Negative.
The road is closed at the Ranger station. The 4.9 miles of road between the ranger station and Ipsut campgrounds is now hiking/biking only. Hiking only past Ipsut.

They have been doing alot of work on the old road/new trail and at the Ipsut campground. All of the washouts along carbon river road have foot bridges now. They have a couple bobcats and a mini at the campground, and a front loader/backhoe parked about 3 miles in.
48f60a4e.jpg

ea1e05c9.jpg

b41b83ba.jpg

The new bridge at ipsut. (the old bridge is still there, the creek just shifted over about 100'. I think last year they just had a single log walking bridge there.)
7744bfa2.jpg

78558ea3.jpg

The new solar powered shitters. :redneck::eeek:
a78ec069.jpg

And they've put these in at every campsite, I assume the eye bolts are to chain bikes to.
2828726b.jpg

Latest posts