• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Carbon river/glacier hike.

Fordzuki

Zuk Hoarder
Me and a buddy hiked in to Ipsut Creek campground friday night, set up camp, then set out for the glacier saturday morning. We were denied, but got pretty damn close. The river took out most of the trail past the lower crossing, as well as the lower crossing, so without going for a swim or building a bridge, we weren't going to make it. Camped out again last night, and hiked back to the sami this morning. Here's a few pics.

100_0088.jpg

100_0089.jpg

100_0091.jpg

100_0092.jpg

100_0106.jpg

100_0110.jpg

100_0111.jpg

And there you have it. :redneck:

We'll be up there again this spring with a deadset goal of getting to the glacier.

Nice pics!! The third post...first and second pics, looks like something outa "Lord of the Rings." Neat conditions to be up there.:awesomework:

I was up there 10+ years ago with a buch of Cub Scouts. It was a fun hike and lots of good views, and watching the Glacier melt and break away is a bit cool when big chunks come crashing down :awesomework:

The suspention bridge is a fun crossing also.......

It really wasn't that bad, staying dry and dressing in layers were the key. Friday night was overcast and rained from about midnight to 8-9 am, which kept the warmth in. Last night was clear though, so when I woke up at 8, the small puddles in the tent from the rain friday had frozen. :redneck:
If you'll notice in one of the pics towards the end, there is like a petrified old growth that was smashed between the two layers of bedrock, then there's a tree growing from it.
The last time I was up there was about 8 years ago, and we drove up to ipsut campground and hiked to the glacier from there. It's amazing the amount of destruction the mountain can do in just a few short years.

There is no vehicle access at all to the ipsut creek campground now, you either hike in from the carbon river ranger station, or from the mowich side over ipsut pass. To my knowledge, you never could get from evans side (mowich) to the ipsut campground by vehicle, unless you're talking about the 7920/7805 road along tolmie, then you'd still have to go to the carbon entrance. Was there once a road from mowich to ipsut? :corn:

No, I've actually never been there. I am talking about the tolmie road, which loops around back to the main road, although I heard it washed out somewhere. Wasn't sure if it was before the turn off to Ipsut or or after. Anyway, I think I understand now by the way you described it.

I am gonna have to go drive around up there a little more, but everytime I'm there I just wanna hit the trails at Evans.

the national park service is trying to close the ipsut creek road for good. they say it harms the environment, aka kills the fish, pisses off the owls and what not.
when the road is open it is a short three mile hike to one of the lowest elevation glaciers in washington, not to mention the awesome suspension bridge. there is also the old growth forests and the beautiful river scenery that can be seen from alongside the road.
while a majority of us are fortunate enought to be able to enjoy these scenes on foot, many people are not. closing the road perminently makes a enjoyable three mile day hike turn into a eight mile one way trek.

sorry for the rant this just happens to be one of the areas that i grew up using and it seems that the national park service and the forest service just want to protect the land from us instead of protecting it for us:mad:

Mother nature closed the road to ipsut, not the park service. I agree, it would be nice if you could still drive to the ipsut campgrounds, but it just isn't feasable to keep rebuilding a road that gets taken by the river nearly every year. You can still ride a bike to the ipsut campgrounds from the carbon river ranger station, this would take a good hour or more off the hike to the glacier.

yes mother nature did close the road but it is the park service that is trying to keep it shut. there are plenty of options to reclaim the road, like the small levies near the chenius creek trail.
a drive to the entrance on most any weekend will show the interest in that area, as cars are often stacked up on both sides of the road down to the copley bridge. not all of those people are up for a long hike or bike to be able to see the land that is supposed to be preserved for us taxpayers

just voicing my opinion no hard feelings:D

I did the Wonderland trail hike when I was like 15 in Boy Scouts, it's been 18+ years since I"ve been up there. Maybe I should work my way back up to that and get my boys up to check that out.

more..........

100_0195.jpg

100_0196.jpg

100_0202.jpg

100_0203.jpg

100_0204.jpg

This here is a rock, covered with ice, with the ice melting and running down between the rock and ice.. kinda neat. Click for the video.

Took about a 25 foot slide down the trail on my ass, it was very icy. :haha: