• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

carnage pics...why did it break??

leadfoot067

was drivin the burb today,goin over to the burnt house to have a look and right around the corner from lueys place she made a nasty vibration and alot of noise...then steam...
easter069.jpg

easter070.jpg

easter071.jpg

easter073.jpg

took out the radiator, water pump,fan,belt,and the shroud, and the tranny cooler line has a nasty dent/mark on it.... wish i knew what caused it...the water pump was new when the motor was installed about 1500 miles ago,as was the belt and radiator...

Last edited:
Looks like the front half of the water pump broke right off? Pretty sure I've never seen that one before...

yes the water pump broke, yes all the fan bolts are there(just cant see it in the pics)...no warranty, i bought it from a good friend of mine,he did the motor install and our other friend the machinist built it.both are long time friends of mine and experienced mechanics.. ive personally never seen a water pump break like this..and i used to run demo derbys...no dent in the hood luckily...

Impressive....I can honestly say I have never seen one do that in the 23 or so yrs I've been wrenchin for a living...:eeek:

Never seen that happen. Maybe you had a belt that was too small and the tensioner was maxed out.

I have NEVER seen that happen. I have seen them lock up and burn up the belt. I would suspect it locked up and the belt held.

mine on my 03 dodge did this after hitting a water hole on the road at 0330 the water broke the lower part of my shroud and hit my fan sheering the water pump to peices. then the fan went through the radaitor. it was a very expensive day.

Seen one happen on a 350 Chevy in my friends race car. The hood was off, flew over the top of the car on the track. It was:awesomework:

Were there any hints to a problem? A squeak or vibration?

I've never seen one fail like that either...my bet is that you got a defective casting on the new pump. Pump went thur 50 to 100 heat cycles and just gave up. Perhaps a bad bearing, bent shaft, or too much belt tension may have contributed also....

Sucks....but at least it damage was contained.

i gave up trying to figure out why.....doesnt really matter...bought new water pump and belt,get the rad tomorrow,then i just need a fan and shroud and ill be back in business...

hmmmmm.
Hummvees do that when the wrong waterpump
is installed.

There are 6.5 detuned motors in the hummers.
with a serpentine belt.
Everyonce in a while they have a non-detuned pump
installed with the serp pulley. Well one is a clockwise
pump for the Vbelt and the other is counter
clockwise for the Serp belt.
I dont know if yours could have been the same.
When you get the new pump. check the impeller
against the old one.
Might be the case.

i gave up trying to figure out why.....doesnt really matter...bought new water pump and belt,get the rad tomorrow,then i just need a fan and shroud and ill be back in business...
If it is a new part go to the manufature, they have a warentee on parts and also insurance to cover if it was there falt

I know this may be a stretch but I have seen the same thing. In fact it happened to me. My motor mount failed and under torque the fan grabbed the rad and busted the water pump, fan, and belt. Im not saying thats what happened but I would check it out before you fire it back up with all new parts. :corn:

Latest posts