• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Case spreader

"S"-box

Anyone have any tips/ideas about case spreaders? I'm going to re-gear a few rigs and I'm thinking about building my own setup! Any home made spreaders? I'm interested in pictures too. If not what do you'all use?

Anyone have any tips/ideas about case spreaders? I'm going to re-gear a few rigs and I'm thinking about building my own setup! Any home made spreaders? I'm interested in pictures too. If not what do you'all use?

I made my own, many years ago. Works good on dana 44s. If I were to do differentials for a living, I'd buy a professional tool. Haven't used it in years.

For that matter, I also have the bearing puller tool. That's a far more valuable tool. I traded some parts for it. Good tool to own.

I'm going to be doing a few. So it'll be worth my time, not sure I want to fork out cash on something I can build. I Mainly want to save the bearings and shims. I have done a couple installs on 44's and played with a 12 bolt a few times just wanting to make it a little easier. I have the puller part taken care of.:awesomework:

I'm going to be doing a few. So it'll be worth my time, not sure I want to fork out cash on something I can build. I Mainly want to save the bearings and shims. I have done a couple installs on 44's and played with a 12 bolt a few times just wanting to make it a little easier. I have the puller part taken care of.:awesomework:

The spreader needs a turnbuckle to 'open' the case. I bought a big one from Tacoma Screw, then cut it apart, and re-welded it into a much shorter configuration. It's not 'true', as it wobbles as it turns, but still works. That was the only issue I had when building mine. I got lucky in that I had some steel round stock that was the perfect diameter for the holes in the housings.

I don't know where Tom got his (Randy's Maybe?) But it's been awesome to use. Mostly on the one ton axles we have done. D44 is borderline to use a case spreader IMHO, little tiny axles like the D30 aren't worth it, you can spread those with a butter knife and a bic pen. :awesomework:

Hey Jamie! You could borrow mine if you want. I bought this stuff on ebay, & haven't used it yet. When it's time, I'll know where to find you. I've got about $150 into the spreader, & $275 on the R&P bearing tool kit with carrier.
DANA 30-60 DIFFERENTIAL SPREADER TOOL "MADE IN THE USA"

Clamshell Carrier Bearing Puller Kit - Dana 30 40 60 70 80, Ford 10.25" & 10.5"

Harbor Freight tool has magnetic armatures, and dial indicators for cheap enough.

Last edited:
Sweet, thanks for the offer James! I have moved tho...I'm pretty sure you don't know where my new house is:eeek: unless you've gotten creepy stocker like since I saw you last?! I live not too far from my old joint, up in the silver lake area. You'll have to come check it out. I will send you my address....I ALWAYS have cold beer too!:awesomework:

Sweet, thanks for the offer James! I have moved tho...I'm pretty sure you don't know where my new house is:eeek: unless you've gotten creepy stocker like since I saw you last?! I live not too far from my old joint, up in the silver lake area. You'll have to come check it out. I will send you my address....I ALWAYS have cold beer too!:awesomework:
I figured you'd tell me where you lived if I was lending you my ****! LOL You're always welcome to come on up the Tulalip! I'm not too far off I-5