• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chain drive t-case ?'s

Grommit327

So I have been getting a clacking noise from my drivetrain lately and it has been puzzling the **** outta me. It happens when the truck has been sitting for a few hours...I take off and go a few hundred yards then when I decelerate something starts clacking. Turns out it is my square front d-shaft turning and making the noise. It only does it for a mile or so then once everything gets warmed up it stops turning. Now what in the hell could be causing my front output to turn with enough force to turn the driveline/axleshafts. I don't know enough about these cases to be able to guess what it is...any ideas out there???

It's probably just old lube sticking things together until it's warmed up enough to flow easily.

It's probably just old lube sticking things together until it's warmed up enough to flow easily.
It's got synthetic in there within the last year but who knows. I know know it's on the t-case end and not the hubs because when I pull the d-line I can hear my front output bearings making some not so good noises at higher speeds. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it spinning though

Well, the same thing happens to my truck, although it's not a chain drive. It's got the gear drive case. If I haven't driven it far enough to warm up the gears, the gears will usually clash a little bit when going from 4H to 4L while stopped.

It has full synthetic in both the transmission (manual) and the transfer case.

Last edited:
I'll just bite my tongue on this thread...

Toyota...

...square d-shaft

...is their a snorkel on it :corn:
Damn Toyota haters anyways. :flipoff: The d-shaft was a cheat to get on the road last year after the swap. Just have been too cheap to buy a real one. I'm thinkin bout a pvc snorkel with some expanded metal at the top as a screen...whatcha think? :fawkdancesmiley:

Does your tuck still have the IFS? If so, does it have the ADD front axle since you have the chain drive case?

Since my front ouput bearings are pretty noisy anyway I'm going to do a teardown and see what I can see. It may be that it just needs some new fluid. Yet another weekend project. If it wasn't drivers drop I'd just get another gear drive case to throw behind the crawl box.

Hahaha...awesome idea from Jim. Think it's a little on the steep side pricewise though. I would rather go passenger drop 60 in the front with a normal geardrive case.

On a side note about things turning when they're not supposed to...I started my truck this morning and let out the clutch with it in neutral and the truck jumped forward a few feet...must be time to buy a jeep :haha: