• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cheerleader Jeep... 1 ton edition

Looks good Matt. How do you like those RE springs? I just picked up a pair of them for the front of my truck, looked like a good way to gain much needed uptravel without having to get silly with mount placement.

If you need another set of those tires I know of a set of 4 with about 90ish percent tread, street and mud only that can be had for under $600...

I'm really happy with the RE springs. I got them second-hand from boxboy, and this is my second build of this Jeep using them up front. Quality spring that flexes well and can hold up to some abuse. My stock YJ packs were toast when I pulled them off, bent main leafs, s-shaped, etc and these are still goin strong.

I'm not sure if I want 14.5 tires, I will think on it and maybe get in touch with ya at a later date.

Weld 'er up.

Now debating whether to really dig into shaving the 14 bolt by cutting the bottom off the housing and re-welding new plate, or just trim the big fat lip off the bottom. The 2nd option means I lose the bottom bolt... will it leak (with a trimmed stock cover)?

Attachments

• photo(15).jpg
    photo(15).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 415
Weld 'er up.

Now debating whether to really dig into shaving the 14 bolt by cutting the bottom off the housing and re-welding new plate, or just trim the big fat lip off the bottom. The 2nd option means I lose the bottom bolt... will it leak (with a trimmed stock cover)?

I am also debating this right now. I have heard some horror stories on pirate about lost fluid capacity on shaved diffs and burning up the fluid/bearings during high speed driving/highway type stuff.

Pretty sure she's gonna be a trailer queen, just a FYI :hi: I still havent decided to shave or not :booo:

I am also debating this right now. I have heard some horror stories on pirate about lost fluid capacity on shaved diffs and burning up the fluid/bearings during high speed driving/highway type stuff.

Pretty sure she's gonna be a trailer queen, just a FYI :hi: I still havent decided to shave or not :booo:

I left mine alone in fear of this.With that bottom bolt missing I would be worried of some how hooking the cover on a rock and losing the fluid.

The lower lip of mine is shaved and smoothed. the cover is trimmed about 1/8" higher than the housing so it can't catch on a rock.

I have a 1/4" thick cover for it, when it goes on I'll tap a couple 1/4x20 holes in the housing for bolts again.

The lower lip of mine is shaved and smoothed. the cover is trimmed about 1/8" higher than the housing so it can't catch on a rock.

I have a 1/4" thick cover for it, when it goes on I'll tap a couple 1/4x20 holes in the housing for bolts again.

Any leaks with that bottom bolt gone? I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal to drill and tap for two smaller bolts to go in place a little further up.

2009110910130726271_med.jpg

Also, finished the rear springs and did a quick dovetail on the rear body, just 4" out of the back section so I can still use my tailgate and still fit the back seat in.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 344
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 342
Ahhh 42's last years 40, 1989s 35's! looks great man, love the spring mounts. clean job:cheer:

Yeah, they turned out bitchin. I'm going to remove the extra main leaf from the XJ packs in the back to lower it down just a little more, depending on how much the extra tube, fuel cell and seat make it squat in the rear.

The front needs a little bit of re-working. I need to move the frame mounts forward about an inch for another inch of stretch, a little better shackle angle, and it will also tilt the pinion up a slight bit and the caster forward on the axle (it's dead on at 7 degrees right now, I'd like between 4 and 5). This will also give me a little extra room so I can hopefully run my tie-rod on top of the knuckles instead of below, since I'm not running high steer.

If I buy the 42's, I will put the 2" spacers on the back, and get dually hubs for the front and run the H1's un-recentered.

Now if Geno from Advance Adapters would just call me back to get the details on my transfer case so they can start building it, I would be one happy Matt.

Also, I ordered an RCI 2171a 30x7x17 fuel cell to fit behind the back seat and an Airtex E8248 external fuel pump.

Attachments

• rci-2171a_w.jpg
    rci-2171a_w.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 268
I would recomend (to anyone in this position) getting a TRUE fuel cell and not just a tank as pictured above. If you ever get the bug to do some sort of "racing", cell's are becoming mandatory and pretty soon reg. bodies arn't gonna let tanks slide by.

I would recomend (to anyone in this position) getting a TRUE fuel cell and not just a tank as pictured above. If you ever get the bug to do some sort of "racing", cell's are becoming mandatory and pretty soon reg. bodies arn't gonna let tanks slide by.

So what's the difference? Summit calls this one a "fuel cell". Also, this rig will never be raced (I'd build a tube thingy for that if I was so inclined), so I'm not too concerned.... but interested to know what the differences are.

One concern I have about this tank is the pickup... am I going to have problems with fuel starvation in off camber situations if the fuel is low? Seems like a lot of guys on Pirate are running this or similar RCI models without trouble.

I know Joe (Six-Nine) had this exact tank in his YJ... maybe if he sees this thread he'll chime in and drop some knowledge on me.

So what's the difference? Summit calls this one a "fuel cell". Also, this rig will never be raced (I'd build a tube thingy for that if I was so inclined), so I'm not too concerned.... but interested to know what the differences are.

One concern I have about this tank is the pickup... am I going to have problems with fuel starvation in off camber situations if the fuel is low? Seems like a lot of guys on Pirate are running this or similar RCI models without trouble.

I know Joe (Six-Nine) had this exact tank in his YJ... maybe if he sees this thread he'll chime in and drop some knowledge on me.

I don't understand the difference between that and what jeff if calling a fuel cell.

I had no issues with the one I installed in joes rig matt..

on a side note the RCI tank I have is always blowing out the seams about ever other month I am having to take it out and reweld a seam or 2.