• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chevy Malibu with 2.4L 4 cyl reliability / budget car discussion.

No **** if I was only getting 22-23 mpg I'd just drive your damn truck. The difference in 5 mpg would only be like $5-600 a year over 20K miles...

TBItoy said:
Why do cars get worse mileage now? weight? emissions?

90s cars get close to or better than 30mpg.

DING DING DING.

Plus they are double overdrived and lug the convertor all the damn time.

Those Malibus are super nice and Josh should be able to make a cool $2500-3000 off it if he so chooses :****:

blacksheep10 said:
Damn, those 90's luminas with 3.1's got like 29ish or kiss 30 and lasted for 250K at least. I'm surprised its that dismal

Exactly! I put 100K on one, that had 100K on it when I got it.

30-31 hwy with 2 fat boys riding to work in it every day.
27-29 around town.

If I could find another one that wasnt completely meth'd out and shitwreck'd I'd buy it.
Preacher up the road has one that is low miles, dark green ext with blue interior - Hideous. He wont sell it laughing1 laughing1

Saturn would get 30mpg easy, but it was also half plastic so I'm sure there is a huge weight difference between the two. I believe the Malibu would do better with a 5 speed auto instead of 6 speed like Tyler said, it definitely lugs in 6th gear unless you are doing 70 on flat road. Also feel like Saturn would outrun the Malibu. Although these are somewhat negative points over what I expected, overall I am happy with the Malibu....it's not like it's a Camaro or something lol. It does what it is supposed to do and is pretty nice for what it is. If I get to where I do not like it anymore, I will try to sell and make a little on it like mentioned. I don't necessarily need a car that gets tremendously good mileage so much as just needing an extra vehicle that still gets "pretty good" mileage, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Need an extra car so if something happens to my truck or the wife's Infinity, we have something else to drive. And there is more room for the young'n in the back of the Malibu than my extended cab truck.

I think I'm just going through withdrawals without the Saturn, I loved that little bastard. I seriously doubt it ran and drove any better/tighter the day it was bought new than it was with 185k miles on it. Such a good car. Not the best looking unit, especially after hitting that deer and stomping the hood back flat in the front yard and putting it back on it, but I didn't care. I was gonna drive that fawker til it died. No thoughts of ever getting rid of it, which is rare for me. Haha

Engine code. And I cant believe that guy gave $9500 for this thing. Traded in and was allowed $1500 for trade in. Lol

34d63a6fa6af29e4fefe711fa9bcb920.jpg
e43fcb1eb14d5e58814416326d9170ba.jpg
68c529141a9ddd9aac1f52383c40bcf6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Chevy Malibu with 2.4L 4 cyl reliability / budget car discussion.

grcthird said:
3rd most common searched code on identifix for this car, Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid most common fix for it.
Figured you would chime in before too long lol. Ordered generic brand on ebay for like $10 this morning. GM parts direct was $42 ircc. We'll see if it makes cel go off.

muddinmetal said:
Easy swap. You could sell it for just about $9500 right now :****:

Yeah it's hard to beat being right there on top and front of the engine. Lol.

As tempting as it is to try and flip it for profit, I really do like it and really hate car shopping because I am so damn picky. molaugh

Re:

Finally remembered to calculate mpg's.

Dash said 23.0 and per calculation was 22.85. Can't believe how close the lie o meter was. Lol

They're pretty close nowadays. The ones in both my Chevy trucks are quite reliable on the interstate.

Re:

I put a new camshaft sensor on and check engine light came back on with same code. The plug that plugs into the sensor was rather loose and really easy to get off, so I wonder if that is the problem or there is a short in the circuit somewhere for it. I hate electrical gremlins.

I looked up bad camshaft sensor symptoms and the first one listed was worse fuel mileage. So maybe if I get this gremlin fixed, the mpg's will go up a bit.

I have always been told to replace both of them at the same time, there is one for intake, and the other for exhaust. And sometimes those shitty made in China electronic parts are not worth a ****.

TacomaJD said:
Engine code. And I cant believe that guy gave $9500 for this thing. Traded in and was allowed $1500 for trade in. Lol

34d63a6fa6af29e4fefe711fa9bcb920.jpg
e43fcb1eb14d5e58814416326d9170ba.jpg
68c529141a9ddd9aac1f52383c40bcf6.jpg

Newfound info found via Google-fu. Sounds like it could also be the camshaft actuator solenoids, of which there is one for intake and one for exhaust. May try replacing both of those. Saw a video where a guy had a mechanic's scan tool that he could use to somehow to control the actuator solenoids independently and could toggle the solenoid on and off, listen for the click it should make, and found out which one was bad (didn't make a click) and replaced it. Would be cool to be able to do that before spending more money on parts that may not fix it, but it probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and replace both of those anyway being that it has over 100k miles on it.

Check engine light went off later that night after I replaced the camshaft positioning sensor and has stayed off for 2 days. But it wasn't uncommon for it to do that before, so I am waiting to see if it comes back on.

Re:

Well I guess maybe it just took a minute for the computer to realize that the problem was fixed but the check engine light has been off for a week now. Sweet!