• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chevy Malibu with 2.4L 4 cyl reliability / budget car discussion.

civicmindedex79 said:
So I am a little late to the party and been tied up around the house. So I am gonna make a couple statements and maybe someone can confirm or deny.

1) Do you know on your Malibu you bought if they fixed the headlight bulb change screw up? I had several friends that bought like the 08 models (I believe) and the damn front bumper has to be pulled to change the headlight bulb. I told one of my friends to buy a bulb and bring it and we would figure it out. Chevy quoted $180 to change it. I swear I could not get my short fat ass arm in there anyway I tried. Not sure he isn't still driving it with a blown out headlight. Best advice I could give was to take it to a body shop and ask what they would charge to pull the bumper cover, not being mine I didn't wanna take a chance of busting a clip or something.

2) Almost all of the 08 and around that year model Camry 4 cylinders are being recalled for rings in the motor and burning oil. They are basically rebuilding the motors the satisfy the service bulletin. Not doing new rings in bottom in but new pistons and rings in the top end. Pretty easy to have it checked. They change the oil and mark everything for tamperproof and you carry it back in 1000 miles and they check the oil level if its below such level they rebuild the motor. Of course this leaves a discussion if a rebuilt motor is as dependable as a factory built motor and all that stuff.

3) I know it isn't pimping but our local Mitsubishi dealership was selling brand new lil egg looking hatchback cars (cant remember the names) for like $6800 because of the color. Now you would have to drive a pink, green or something ugly car but still hard to beat a brand new car with warranty for that kind of money.

What is the name of the Mitsu dealer?

Re:

Does it burn oil like the rest of the Mitsubishis? Lol. Montero and Eclipse problems solidified for me a long time ago that I will never own a Mitsubishi. Lol

And Idk about the headlight, maybe I wont have to change one soon. :/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re:

TacomaJD said:
Does it burn oil like the rest of the Mitsubishis? Lol. Montero and Eclipse problems solidified for me a long time ago that I will never own a Mitsubishi. Lol

And Idk about the headlight, maybe I wont have to change one soon. :/

I believe I remember from your "rust bucket" truck post your dad does some body work anyway, so might not be an issue eitherway.

Even if it burns oil you can buy a lot of oil for $4k-$5k cheaper vehicle getting 40+ mpg, but won't pick up as many chicks in a metallic pink car. :gay:

Re: Re:

civicmindedex79 said:
I believe I remember from your "rust bucket" truck post your dad does some body work anyway, so might not be an issue eitherway.

Even if it burns oil you can buy a lot of oil for $4k-$5k cheaper vehicle getting 40+ mpg, but won't pick up as many chicks in a metallic pink car. :gay:
Hahaha true dat! Yes he does, he also was quick to point out that it looked like the front bumper of the car was a slightly different shade of white, hinting to possible paint work or bumper replacement. But I looked all around the core support and engine bay and see no signs of previous damage and every gap lines up perfectly so I ain't really worried about it. Damn insurance was higher on this thing than either my truck or the wife's Infinity FX35, which I found to be odd. $750 a year full coverage. Liabilty is only $260 a year so I may do that. Idk yet. $500 a year difference then $500 deductible if I used full coverage, I may just do without it. If I wreck it, dad can fix it. I don't see myself totalling it and it being my fault (which nobody does), but maybe I can slide by without it.

blacksheep10 said:
Does nobody down there do Comp? I mean, hail, deer, tree/any act of God and you're covered, plus not against your insurance. It is normally way cheaper than full coverage (collision) but more than liability only.

In TN they do, usually only costs a few dollars more a year than liability if you have a $500-$1000 deductible.

That's what I'd do on a $5000 car, but I drive a $500 car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blacksheep10 said:
Does nobody down there do Comp? I mean, hail, deer, tree/any act of God and you're covered, plus not against your insurance. It is normally way cheaper than full coverage (collision) but more than liability only.

That's what I have on my $2000 work car.

Re: Re: Chevy Malibu with 2.4L 4 cyl reliability / budget car discussion.

blacksheep10 said:
I guess you don't get the hail and deer we do maybe. Man, I've hit 2 deer and had a hail claim on all my vehicles in the last 5 years. No insurance increase and thousands and thousands in my pocket. We just got smoked by hail again a month ago
Had hail damage on a Yukon with liability only, hit an owl and busted windshield in FJ Cruiser couple years ago but had full coverage with comprehensive, and hit deer in Saturn with liability only last year. Definitely looking into comp, he never got back to me today.

Re: Re: Chevy Malibu with 2.4L 4 cyl reliability / budget car discussion.

TacomaJD said:
Had hail damage on a Yukon with liability only, hit an owl and busted windshield in FJ Cruiser couple years ago but had full coverage with comprehensive, and hit deer in Saturn with liability only last year. Definitely looking into comp, he never got back to me today.

Comp is usually like $7 to $12 a month. People are dumbasses for not having it :****:

Re:

Yep, im gonna try to get it.

Check engine light came on yesterday pulling into work, driven it about 100 miles total before it came on. Then went off randomly today and stayed off. Maybe it's nothing. Isn't running or acting any differently.

Re:

Still hasn't came back on, so good. Sure would like to find a factory airbox and get rid of that gay ass cold air intake. Sounds gay as **** when you mash it. Lol

That's probably what's making the check engine light come on, even a K&N will let enough dirt and oil pass thru it to mess up the Mass air meter. Use all factory stuff.

Re:

I wondered if it had anything to do with it. Who puts a cold air intake on a fawkin 4 banger Malibu....lol

I bought it from a 71 yr old man that trades on **** all the time. He had a Chrysler Aspen for sale amd wasn't getting any bites, then the guy that owned this Malibu was looking for something bigger to haul more kids bc he started dating a chick that had kids too, so he traded the Malibu for the Aspen, so i assume he is the one that put the cold air intake on it. Old man said he would ask him if he still had oem stuff, so maybe I can get ahold of it. Title was left open from last guy.

The guy that had it left all his papers in it, including insurance cards, tag receipt, and title app with bill of sale lol. So now, car had nearly 113k miles when I bought it. It had 100k miles when he bought it from Jeff Burleson (you should know him, drag racer), and he paid over $9k for it. So just 13k miles later I buy it for $6k. Old man must have came out smelling like a rose on the Chrysler for Malibu trade to sell it that cheap.

Considering a Chrysler Aspen is worth maybe $2-3k as soon as you drive it off the lot, I'd say he did ok

molaugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

Malibu = nowhere near as good on gas as Saturn. Still not terrible though. Lie o meter says 22-23 avg, that's probably close.

I had no idea prior to this what that Malibu would get, but 22-23??? Damn man. I've had a few friends that have ran TDI Jetta's (early 2000 models) and they are getting around 50 MPG, and only paying $2-3000 for the car itself.