• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

chevy spring swap gone bad. Help!

toyodaaddict

I just did the chevy spring swap on my 84 toyota DD and now iv got bad transmission noise. Im thinking its a driveline issue. the pinion is set 2* below parallel with the t-case. Do you guys think I need to run a CV shaft?

it has always been my experience with DLines is that if you are not running a CV jointed shaft, then your output and your input yokes should have the same angle as each other, in other words, parallel to each other..

if running a CV jointed shaft, then the input yoke of the axle should be pointed at the output yoke (or maybe even 1/2 to 1* below to allow for axle wrap)

just what i have learned over the years and have had no issues following these guidelines...

I just did the chevy spring swap on my 84 toyota DD and now iv got bad transmission noise. Im thinking its a driveline issue. the pinion is set 2* below parallel with the t-case. Do you guys think I need to run a CV shaft?

Is it a noise or a vibration? Did u bend the pinion seal sheld...or something stupid like that?

Is it a noise or a vibration? Did u bend the pinion seal sheld...or something stupid like that?

no the dust shields arnt bent. I dont feel mutch vibration I hear nasty noise in the transmission. iv experienced this in my 80 toy, dual cases and a CV shaft fixed it. I read on pirate to set the pinion 2* under because the pinion will tip up under power. maybe ill do as Zoediak seis and set it perfectly parallel

I set mine even and its GTG. What kind of noise?? Is the slip yoke (if there is one) bottoming out on bumps???

I set mine even and its GTG. What kind of noise?? Is the slip yoke (if there is one) bottoming out on bumps???

the noises come and go as i drive. rumbling kinda grinding noises. i think the driveline angle is out and its raising hell with the bearings. the slip yoke is far from bottoming out. just to let everyone know i haven't been driving the truck like this.

Are the u-joints out of phase?

Out of phase will do it as will setting the pinion angle wrong. With NO cv the t case output and diff should be close to parallel. The diff should be about 2* lower than the t case. With a cv the rear diff should point about 2* below the output shaft. The diff angle is lower to account for slight axle wrap while driving.

Take out the rear DLine and run it in 4 to make sure it truly is not the transmission. Would hate you to throw money and time where it is not needed.

let me ask a couple of questions...

First... did this "noise" only come apparent after the spring change...?

Second... Is this noise you are hearing during acceleration, deceleration, or coasting?

Third... Have the fluid levels (and conditions) been checked?? Look for any serious isues with fluids like discolorations, metal, etc... the usual stuff to keep an eye out for...

Forth... Is the pinion tight?? is there any play in the bearings? are there any leaks at any of the outputs that are new??

If i was closer i would take a peek at it with ya...

i went through a lot of this back in the day with one of my rigs, learned a lot by the time it was all over and done...

and if you are setting up the rear yoke angles, i have never gone more than 1 degree below matched angles to 'allow' or actually 'compensate' for axle wrap... if you are getting more than that, it would be something that would need to be addressed because it would haunt you for a while...

This is my dd before the swap everything was good. The noises happen in accel decel and coast mostly decel and coast its bad around 40mph. fluids where change 4 mounths ago. but i haven't checked them. nothing leaks. diff was rebuilt 2 years ago and seems fine. like i say everything was good before the swap

Did you cut perches and rotate diff ? If you did I bet thats where your problem lies

Well there you go! Just run it in front wheel drive.

Seriously though, you have a pretty common occurance. Happened to my CJ5. Too steep of a driveline angel will cause a wierd noise. I solved my problem by going to a CV shaft, but you may also solve it by rotating the pinion to a more desireable angle.