• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chris's toy (Sandtrap1986)

So time to make some progress..

Lets start with this mess........

chris-52.jpg

After stripping out all un-used circuits and roughly rerouting all power circuits. I like to split up the circuits in case there is ever an issue--helps with diagnosing it.

chris-53.jpg

All ready to start playing with......

chris-54.jpg

Something else I have done with these VCM's. The 5 plug in the middle is only there to connect both internal circuit boards. I always just make a very short loop (removed 10" of wire) and makes it cleaner.

chris-55.jpg

The start of the mess.. I had just thrown the harness in the rig when the wife came wondering into the shop and took one look at the mess and walked out,lol..

chris-56.jpg

Got a dent in it and the harness is starting to take shape...

chris-57.jpg

Sorry I did t make it your way today hectic day at work shooting for Wednesday also gonna get that fan ordered and such here tomorrow

Noo biggy chris--I am still putting along with what I got :awesomework:

And nothing I could see we would need..

I was able to put a lil dent in it tonight.. I got the VCM wiring done and a good portion of the engine done. As my own general rule of thumb I always have the ground circuit for the VCM and sensors associated with the same circuit grounded in 2 spots one being the motor and the other the body.

chris-58.jpg

chris-59.jpg

Only place that hasn't replied is the fitting place ....put in for the quote like 4 days ago ....guess they don't want my business

Moving along. So next I am going to work from the VCM to the body forward.

I decided to start on the driver side at the old alternator wiring and work around the rad support to the fuse box. So the plan is to pull all of the alt wiring out/disassemble the harness all the way over.

chris-60.jpg

Boom--what a mess,lol...

chris-61.jpg

The power cable out of the alt has 2 splices in it--one near the fender passthru on the drivers side and one just outside the fuse box. It was no big deal as I planned to run a new wire across to tie the B+ back into the circuit.

chris-62.jpg

Another reason for tearing into the fuse box is to tie into existing circuits and not run new ones--kinda integrate everything..

So I started by using the existing starter relay. I went to the output (black/white) and tied into the new starter wire. Next I went to the "L" wire (yellow) from the alt(wire passes thru the fuse box) and tied the new alt wire into that. This should be perfect since this alt needs to see a voltage drop to ignite and the "L" wire comes off the alt lamp in the dash.

I am going to use the EFI fuse for the battery feed to the VCM but I will tie into that circuit near the old ECM (along with allot of other circuits). The same will go with all of the ignition feeds.

I also ran the MAF/IAT wiring to to the drivers side (I cannot stand running the harness across the motor from side to side).

It took some time but I got it all done--looks a little better lol..

chris-63.jpg

Across the radiator support..

chris-64.jpg

And the driver side.

chris-65.jpg

And you can see the wiring popping out for the MAF/IAT.. I will finish that later on..

One thing I always do is have a main junction for all battery feeds. I CANNOT stand multiple wires at the battery--part of my OCD I guess,lol..

I also mounted a 50A circuit breaker for the cooling fan power feed. I have found this style helps a bunch with retaining the circuit and the spikes you get when it turns on.

chris-66.jpg

I also made the cable from the Alt to the main junction.

chris-67.jpg

I got the wiring done at the VCM and to the firewall.

chris-68.jpg

Since thats all done I went and threw the VCM back in..

chris-69.jpg

Here is the radiator Chris had for the project. I am not sure who's it is but it was made for this conversion.

chris-70.jpg

Here is the cooling fan I had Chris get. Its the same one I have been running for years and never ever had a cooling issue--it really moves some good air...

chris-71.jpg

Nice thing about this radiator is its very similar to mine and made mounting the fan a piece of cake...

chris-72.jpg

POS connector--I cut this thing off and threw it at out cat....

chris-73.jpg

I used sealed connectors for the fan..

chris-74.jpg

Fitment of the rad was nice "except" I have a clearance issue with one of the steering box bolts since the inside of the frame is plated with 1/4" for the box. I will have to fix that later.

chris-75.jpg

Latest posts