• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CJ-5 Exhaust

ZedMikey

I need a new exhaust system on my 1977 CJ-5 with a 304. In the future, I'm swapping in a bored/stroked 401 running LPG, but for now it is a mostly stock 304 running gas. I'm sick of smelling like exhaust because my muffler is falling apart.

I have been toying with the idea of fenderwell headers and dual side pipes. I dig 'em, but I don't like the idea of having the exhaust hanging out where it might get crunched wheeling. I'm also not keen on ditching the stock exhaust manifolds, as they supposedly flow as good as any others... though something lighter would be nice. :D Another upside is that I'd have more room in the back for an LPG tank; I want to be able to carry 100lbs on-board without putting the tank in the bed.

Anybody have any thoughts/insight/opinions on this? Any pros/cons I'm missing on single rear vs dual side?

another issue with pipes is that the forest service requires a spark restrictor type muffler. No straight thru glass packs allowed.

Stick with the manifolds, less BS and leaks. Keep the exhaust inside the chassis, Y it into a single 3" with a 3 chamber Flownaster and run a 3" tailpipe out the factory local in the left rear corner, stil have room for the propane tank.:awesomework:

Bring it to Scott at Quality Brake and Muffler, 253-582-MUFF(6833) he'll fix you up.

Stick with the manifolds, less BS and leaks. Keep the exhaust inside the chassis, Y it into a single 3" with a 3 chamber Flownaster and run a 3" tailpipe out the factory local in the left rear corner, stil have room for the propane tank.:awesomework:

Bring it to Scott at Quality Brake and Muffler, 253-582-MUFF(6833) he'll fix you up.
More good reasons to run a single... does Quality Brake and Muffler have a side busniess at night? They have the perfect phone number for it! :haha:

I would defineately go with duel exhaust. I have it on my cj5, and will never go with anything else.

I also am running a set of headman headers and stainless exhaust all the way out behind the rear tires.

I have had no problems what so ever with my exhaust sytem, and it will handle it when I upgrade to a 401 in the future as well.

I didn't mention dual rear as an option because I seriously doubt I could cram a 100lb LPG tank under there with that much exhaust tube running around... I'm concerned about fitting it under there with one!

we should just try and meet up or something, then you can take a look at it, better than me trying to take pictures and crap.

my number is 253-227-1040 I live out in Graham, so not too far away.

Manifolds and single exhaust all the way. Or block huggers if you want headers. Better to keep things simple, compact, inside the frame, and tucked up away from the rocks.

All good reasons... my 7 had dual sides when I bought it, and I have since converted it to a single rear. I guess I will stay that way with my 5, too... that's too bad, the duals are cool! :D

lol.. oven mits...:haha:

yeah shoot me a call if you want... no worries.. but all mine are in the frame and up and out of the way...

as for the mufflers, they are some sort of a turbo style muffler... but later will be getting replaced with some flowmasters...

x2 for Scott at Quality.

I've had him do 2 systems for me. Both were 2.25" going into 1 50 series SUV Flowmaster 524553 and coming out as 3". This muffler is 2 in/1 out. My muffler was on the left side but right will work too. On the right side I had a flange installed 10" down from the manifold. The pipe then went down the right side and crossed under my T-case yoke. It then went to the muffler and connected to a flange welded to the muffler. This allows me to remove a small section of pipe to easily remove the trans or t-case. Be sure to have all pipe above the bottom of the frame. This isn't normal so you need to ask for it. The exaust comes out beside the gas tank and has a down turned end.
I have a 350SBC and it sounds great.

Scott has done pretty much every trail at RR and Naches in his old CJ5, he knows about tucking things up tight and takin care of the wheelers.....He is one.:awesomework:

I just wanted to let you all know I searched for some exhaust info on this site and found this...........called Scott at Quality and he took care of me and my jeep. Tucked it all up and gave me a flex plate at the transfer case. Nice work and nice guy who understands offroad jeepers. ;-)

Latest posts