• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

cj 5

CJ5s were made for decades.
The best frame (foundation) were the boxed frames, which didn't come out till 1977 or 1978. In 1980, federal emissions laws dictated that fuel mileage was a concern (along with Cat Convertors), so the truck transmissions ended in 1979, and (light duty) 5 speeds became the norm. However the transfer case was upgraded to a dana 300 (from a dana 20 or dana 18). There is no perfect year CJ5.

The goods:
Look for a Boxed frame, V8 or fuel injected I6, truck 4 speed manual transmission, and Dana 44 rear axle
The bads:
Early frames were prone to cracks, the carb'd I6 (especally the later versions) were crappy, the automatic (TH400, AMC style) was OK but it was connected to a crappy Quadratrac transfer case, the AMC model 20 rear end was a 2 piece rear axle and had weak axle tubes, but a big Ring & Pinion set.
Other stuff: Look for one with factory power steering and power brakes. WATCH OUT for body cancer (rust).

Good luck.

I loved my CJ5. It was a factory 1979, boxed frame, V8, power steering, power brakes & tilt column. I upgraded it to a 4 speed T18 trans, and Dana 300 tcase, and D44s front & rear. Worked great!
But when I wanted an automatic, there just wasn't enough length to fit everything.

That's a reasonable start for a CJ. Make sure you look at it closely for rust and maintainence concerns.
T

Last edited:
In 76 they updated the frames. You can tell if it a newer frame because it widens in the middle. The rear of the frame is wider than the front essentially giving you outboard springs without outboarding them.

You won't find any factory CJ that is fuel injected... If it's a factory 3 speed that's in it it's likely a T-150 which is a useable transmission but not ideal. I ran one for alot of years in my Flattie with a ford small block and never broke it, but it didn't have the low gear I wanted.

As said there is no perfect CJ but that one looks like a decent start providing it's not all hacked in there. You'll know hack if you see it...

FWIW 76 was kind of a transition year. They got the new frames and windshield frame, and the rear was swapped for a model 20 in place of a dana 44 and the 30 could be had with or without disc brakes. Still had a model 20 T-case then too.

Last edited:
Looked to be acceptable for a starter rig . Really depends on what you're looking to do with the rig . Be more specific on that point of you want more detailed answers .

thanks for all the input he picked it up on Saturday and drove it from duval to oly with no problems. seems to be in great shape and not hacked!:beer: