• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CJ 7 Link Project

zukiscott

"MOST WILDEST"
HOLD THE PHONE STOP THE PRESS Drew Ellis is gettin rid of the leaf springs under his jeep :eek:

And I am PROUD.

The plan is for a 4 link rear, and a three link front.

The jeep is an 83 CJ 7 ,with a stock frame.

GM crate 350 with HOWE throttlebody fuel injection.

Turbo 350, twin stick Dana 300

60 front, 14 bolt rear with Detroits and 4.56 gears

ram assist steerin

custom cage

on board air

navi system

I-pod tunes set up with over 300000000000 songs in it

Although still on leaf springs the Jeep has already had the stock 93.5" wheelbase modified.

The rear of the tub has been comp cut and the rear axle has been moved back 6" for several years now.

And the front was moved forward 2" as well.

Giving the Jeep a 102" wheelbase, wich will remain the same with the link suspension upgrade.

Heres the Jeep thats gonna undergo the TRANSFORMATION.........

HarlanSept093.jpg

MMORV120.jpg

The torch and grinders have already came out.......updates comin ;D

Drew is a machinest by trade, "also see were all my custom machine work/links come from on my junk" so he can make some cool custom ****,

He will be making his own aluminum links outta 7075, 1.5" uppers, and 2" lowers all the way around....

fourlink049.jpg

fourlink048.jpg

All links will be using heims.....

fourlink011.jpg

and mounting brackets from...and THANKS to Mild to Wild......

fourlink013.jpg

The Jeep will also be held up by a coilspring and shock setup with coil capture bracketry also from Mild to Wild....

fourlink022.jpg

Well the Jeep got backed into the shop and hung up on stands ,and then the ole 14 bolt got snatched out from under it, old leaf perches got burned and ground off,

and then the truss from Mild to Wild got puts on it.....

MRORPORC002.jpg

MRORPORC001.jpg

along with Drews custom made pinion angle keeper correct device, "fully adjustable" of course....

MRORPORC007.jpg

and with the tubes RAW, they are ready for these....

MRORPORC009.jpg

MRORPORC008.jpg

;D

This little I-pod thingy are what the ever present tunes come out of in Drews shop, "suprisingly loud" for its size :****:

MRORPORC011.jpg

and then he somehow listens to it runnin this thing......

fourlink050.jpg

to create stuff like this upper link mount crossmember...

DREW036.jpg

DREW034.jpg

DREW026.jpg

DREW029.jpg

fourlink015.jpg

BRITE LITE :eek:

fourlink017.jpg

Then its back for more Pepsi and calculations......

fourlink051.jpg

Not for nothing man, but cover those heims when you weld around em. The castoff beads will stick to the balls of the heim and ruin them. Just dont want you to mess them up! Just my .02. :****: Nice looking work anyway!

10-4 ON THAT MAN, that is a good tip.....but that poor little heim in the pic with the grease fitting in it is just one outta his machine shop he was using burn in the tabs with :dblthumb:

I am sorta helpin Drew out, "just takin pics mosty" ;D

and hangin out listenin to the i-pod thingy

Now comes some link lenght mock up with some PVC.......

DREW006.jpg

DREW012.jpg

DREW041.jpg

The PVC was a good idea for calculatin some link lenghths, but BROUGHT THE SUCK when it came time to try & "CYCLE" the axle :puke:

so we ended up switchin over to pipe for our mock up links......

DREW058.jpg

then started cuttin & movin crap around.....

DREW056.jpg

fourlink029.jpg

fourlink033.jpg

fourlink044.jpg

fourlink042.jpg

Then we started askin for input cause we had a little flex steer at droop, we got that figured out, THANKS Payne and Robbie Bobbie :dblthumb:

fourlink046.jpg

fourlink047.jpg

and with a few adjustments here and there, and 495 cycles later......all the brackets and mounts are ready for big kid welds and paint ;D

have always liked this jeep. even way back when he used to compete in it. looking good i know drew will do it right thats for sure.. :dblthumb:

monkey54 said:
have always liked this jeep. even way back when he used to compete in it. looking good i know drew will do it right thats for sure.. :dblthumb:

HAH you know thats right Monkey, sometimes in the shop I,m like weld it ,WELD IT...NOPE ,Drew gets it PURRRFECT......then welds ;D

Yea he competeded in and WON several OFFROAD CHALLENGES :dblthumb:

Bronco Buster said:
That looks great. Now you know how to do it Scott your turn.

I alreay done the back................now I gotta do the front :spin:

The rear of the Jeep is gettin close now, final welds & paint done happened on the brackets and crossmember..........

DREWSJEEP3017.jpg

DREWSJEEP3015.jpg

DREWSJEEP3021.jpg

DREWSJEEP3018.jpg

DREWSJEEP3009.jpg

DREWSJEEP3010.jpg

An antirock bar from CURRIE was also fitted under the Jeep as well.........

DREWSJEEP3003.jpg

DREWSJEEP3030.jpg

DREWSJEEP3022.jpg

Drew also went and FLUTED his lower 2" 7075 links flashemifyougotem

DREWSJEEP3007.jpg

DREWSJEEP3014.jpg

DREWSJEEP3006.jpg

DREWSJEEP3028.jpg

DREWSJEEP3024.jpg

Here it sits ready for final upper shock mount placement after the tires are reattached and the Jeep has been took off the jack poles measured at ride level...

DREWSJEEP3033.jpg

As soon as the rear shock mounts are done and the Jeep has been given a thorough test drive, it will get put back in the shop and all the old frontend leaf spring suspension components will

get burned and ground off smooth to make way for the 3-LINK setup :dblthumb:

The frontend will also be a coil capture and shock setup with 2" 7075 lowers and 1.5" 7075 uppers and big heims as well :dblthumb:

;D

I like when Scott is in charge of a build thread :****:
Plenty of pics :dblthumb:

Looking good.........Now if we could just talk him into a a set of 42's laughing1

great rig!! those alum links are awesome, I want a set, did you have them milled and threaded on your own or ordered them pre set up for the lengths that you want?

Budget YJ said:
I like when Scott is in charge of a build thread :****:
Plenty of pics :dblthumb:

Looking good.........Now if we could just talk him into a a set of 42's laughing1

HAH.....I been givin him hell about those damn "PIZZA CUTTER" tires for a while :****:.... molaugh

bluetoy said:
Nice work guys. thumb.gif

Almost as nice as yer stuff man ;D

skipnrocks said:
great rig!! those alum links are awesome, I want a set, did you have them milled and threaded on your own or ordered them pre set up for the lengths that you want?

Drew has made aluminum links for a bunch of us, and he does it ALL himself :dblthumb:, you will have to get with him on gettin some though...

he is Last Rebel on here.

fordcontraption01 said:
what are the coil springs out of ?

Yes those are coil springs for coil overs, they are what the coil capture brackets from Mild to Wild are designed to hold , those are 450 lb EIBACH springs :dblthumb:

Really like this build. For those of us that don't have the RobbyBobby MethFabShack Hotline, what axle steer issues did you see and how did you fix it?

Thanks for the the pictures, Scott [ Julio ]. I'm sure glad you and Tony Black have been there to help me out. The pictures are aw some as always. Oh, and the pizza cutters stay for the time being anyway. Thanks, DREW

Stretch said:
Really like this build. For those of us that don't have the RobbyBobby MethFabShack Hotline, what axle steer issues did you see and how did you fix it?

we had some rear steer at WAY FULL droop, but with some lenght added to the uppers, and some crossmember relocation it was resolved :dblthumb:

Last Rebel said:
Thanks for the the pictures, Scott [ Julio ]. I'm sure glad you and Tony Black have been there to help me out. The pictures are aw some as always. Oh, and the pizza cutters stay for the time being anyway. Thanks, DREW

HAH YER WELCOME.......just keep the food and pepsis and tunes rollin and we will keep showin up, OH and put some rubber safety plugs on yer dogs teeth for me too ;D