• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Clocking knuckles on D44

DHR Motorsports

I need to clock the knuckles on my D44 in the jeep. YES the caster was off and YES the steering box is shot and YES it was shackle bushings also.

Anyway, I have lots of fab skills but have never done this...

Any pointers???

Thanks,
Darren Hall

GRIND GRIND GRIND, meaure measure measure, weld

seriously it's a lot of work, to just turn the knuckles, and you have to grind down a certain amount before they break loose, it'd be a LOT easier to start witha fullsize housing, cut the knuckles off right at the C and you can notch out the tube from inside the C, figure out how much more you need to cut off the fullsize housing and cut that amount off (don't forget to leave enouhg meat for the C to go on!) then figure your angles out, and hammer the hell out of them back on, DONT grind much of the mating surface if you can help it, maybe just wire wheel it clean... :awesomework:

Boonie's 1/2 right. :flipoff:

Lots of grinding, but not that bad.

First side will take forever, second side will take like 5-10 minutes. Get a couple good grinding wheels for your favorite grinder. Start grinding at the weld at about a 45? angle (INTO the knuckle a bit). Your looking for a "part line" to appear, these means you've gotten all the weld out thats holding the two parts together. DO NOT try and turn them till you see this line all the way around.

Then get your favorite BFH and beat them to the angle you want/need. I've found it easier sometimes to actually beat them off, then clean them up *just a little* and pound them back on closer to the right place.

Before you remove, measure the top and bottom ball-joint widths, then double check it before you weld them on. Its possible to get the camber off just a little if your not careful.

when your happy, BURN THEM IN.

First sides a bitch cause your constantly looking for the line. Second side is easier since you have an idea how much to grind.

Wear safety glasses, gloves, ear protection and a mask.... unless you like black boogers :redneck:
________
LAMBORGHINI 350GTV SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:
I just did this on a 60. Its a pain! Everyone is right, dont be scared and just start grinding and looking for that part line. I beat mine off all the way then beat them on close to where I needed them. Be sure to measure from ball joint to ball joint too since you will be driving it on the road. Make sure you get all your pinion angle set and the caster in the right area. You only want to do this once in your life. Then burn away. Good luck, im glad im done.

P.S. S&N Fab. charges 300 bucks for this job... I assure you I would charge more. Its a time eater.