• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Clunk when i shift gears on my TJ

1bigtj

i have a clunk when i shift gears on my tj and when i let the clutch out in first. all u joints in the rear driveshaft are new. any ideas would be great.

i have a clunk when i shift gears on my tj and when i let the clutch out in first. all u joints in the rear driveshaft are new. any ideas would be great.
Control arm bushing might be worn. Or you could have a loose bolt on one of your CA's.

Loose mount, motor, tranny....

*edit. I had a couple of loose bolts on my CA's a while back. Thought my "clunk" was DL related, not so was the Control arms..

Last edited:
Clunks could be anywhere.

I'd check all the suspension links for slop. Check driveshaft splines for looseness. Check U-joints in the driveshafts. Check the locker for something broke or loose. Check lug nuts to make sure they're tight. Check shocks.

Basically, crawl underneath that sucka, and wiggle everything.

If that don't work, have someone else actuate the clutch with you nearby (or underneath) and listen & watch to see if something jumps out at you

ill check my contral arms. i thought the u joints would fix it. i have looked on google and it seems that this happens to alot of tj but no sites had the same two answers as a fix. the noise is driving me insane. if i let off the gas and shift very gently i dont get the clunk.

also when i engage the clutch and have someone under my jeep how far should my driveshaft turn before it starts to catch? i get about a quarter turn of the driveshaft before the wheels start to move?

ill check my contral arms. i thought the u joints would fix it. i have looked on google and it seems that this happens to alot of tj but no sites had the same two answers as a fix. the noise is driving me insane. if i let off the gas and shift very gently i dont get the clunk.

When you normally engage the clutch you are shifting the power from the engine, thru the tans & tcase, to the rear driveshaft, which in turn pushes the frame (and body) forward. Since it's got to push the vehicle (thru the control arms), your noise could be anywhere. When you drive particularly carefully, you are also minimizing the suspensions cycling and the contol arm's movements.

Don't overlook the obvious.....Kids toy rolling around in the back?
I had a simillar thing in my buggy that turned out to be a seat belt end rattling against a tube.:redneck:

wish it was a seatbelt. i jacked the rear end of my jeep up and in nuetral and in gear i cant get i loud clunk. i can feel a slight amount of play in the splines of my rear driveshaft, when i say slight i mean very slight. is this normal?

What suspension do you have? I have a long arm with heims, and my uppers are shot, it clunks loud when I shift. :redneck:

im in lake stevens but thanks alot for the offer. if it was closer i would be right over.

Latest posts