• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Code readers?

hwcurtice

The Good? The Bad? The "RUN AWAY" from?

Looking to buy one. The one that seems to fit my needs, at O'Rielly's runs $209, but I can get it for $173 on eBay.

I want one that not only gives me the trouble codes, but deciphers them as well. Engine and tranny issues.

So, throw up thoughts. :stirpot:

The $200 ones are not gonna give you everything... heck, even the $2000+ ones don't! :redneck: I've heard the one from O'Rielly's isn't bad for the money, and does give you SOME data to look at though....
They will not decipher the code either, that comes with being experienced in what you are looking at and being able to diagnose it (whatever code it may be)...

Yeah... DTC's give you symptoms, not answers. A code for a part doesn't necessarily mean that part is bad.

I use a Launch CReader VI at work, does ECM codes and the most common live data stuff, was I think $160 from my Cornwell dealer. Getting into tranny codes on most stuff takes an actual scan tool. Transmission DTC's that set your check engine light off aren't all that's there, and they're usually very general codes like "component slipping" etc...

If you can find a good deal one of the old Snap On MT2500 "Red Brick"s they're probably my favorite scan tool of all time, but they can only be updated to I think 09.

I've looked off an on for one since between the 3 high end ones we have where I work the GM only tool is the one that actually doesn't break constantly. The boss was not happy when the Snap-On Verdict he just spent $10,000 made itself a paper weight the other day (Snappy tech support got into the thing over the internet and even they couldn't make it work).

AutoEnginuity is a computer based scan tool I've been looking at as well since I've heard a lot of good things about it and it's a lower cost alternative to a normal truck brand scanner.

Last edited:
belive it or not, ive had awesome luck useing a $27 bluetooth obd2 plug with my phone and the torque app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

ive got a tec2, drb, witech, autologic, ids and a few others.
this is the fastest, most versitile of the bunch, and being able to set up dashboards to watch data makes lie alot easyer durring testdrives.
not to mention if you do the track recorder, you can datalog with a view of the road to help youremember exactly whats happening...

Like Zuk said, there isnt a scanner out there that will do the diag part for you. they just kind of give you a direction. the innova scanners arent terrible for the price. ive had alot of good luck with the launch products. They have a small one that can do trans codes (havent tried it, but its on there) and its only like 80 bucks. good for pulling codes quickly. Really, without a site like Identifix, IATN, AllData, or others google/bing are your best friends for figuring out DTC's. Hell, sometimes i still end of searching forums for those wierd ones.

I have the snap on verus at work, but I use a $150 matco mini scanner at home and on side jobs, works great. The only time I have issues with it is on european or 2010 and up domestics. It will still pull codes, but will list it as an undefined code.