• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coilover Tech

Fox, King & Sway-A-Way 2.0 coilovers are nearly identical in price (for a 14" travel), so the question becomes which gives you the most bang for your buck.

Fox makes the best 2.0 coilover because they use the best piston rod, reservoir hose, oil and seals.

Here is a thread I put together on Pirate explaining the differences in 2.5 coilovers and everything except damping performance and reservoir hose is the same for 2.0's.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2130786-shock-tech-thread-dyno-data-shocks-should-you-buy.html

Fox 2.0's use a stainless steel braided reservoir hose while everyone else uses a crimped rubber hose.

When it comes to emulsions you're going to want the one with the longest eye to eye length because it'll have the least gas pressure ramp (air spring effect), which will mess with your spring rates and ride quality.

You need a lighter spring because you have negative spring preload.

You want spring tension at full droop so the axle is being pushed down and giving you more traction. This also prevents the springs from coming loose.

Here is an article about how to measure and set spring preload: http://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/how-to-measure-set-spring-preload/

Since it sounds like you have negative preload, you may want to skip straight to this article about how to use your existing springs to calculate the right spring rates for your target preload: http://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/how-to-calculate-new-preload-and-springs-by-using-existing-springs/

If you just want help on here, post up a picture of your rig along with your current spring rates and info about your setup.

So Wayne won't touch kings now because he works for fox? I was hoping to get in on a tuning day with him in the spring.

TRD you do tuning? Sounds like you really know tour stuff, I know very little about shock tuning I just know it's probably the cheapest best thing you can do to a rig to make it perform better

dynajeep said:
So Wayne won't touch kings now because he works for fox? I was hoping to get in on a tuning day with him in the spring.

TRD you do tuning? Sounds like you really know tour stuff, I know very little about shock tuning I just know it's probably the cheapest best thing you can do to a rig to make it perform better

I go tuning to improve my AccuTune calculations but I don't do open sessions because I'm too busy during the week and I value my weekends too much.

I'm happy to help you get the right springs and valving.

Wayne will still tune any shock, except when he's providing race support onsite on behalf of Fox, at least thats my understanding of the situation

Re:

When he explained it to me he can only do fox but chris is still running alltech and wayne said he is a hell of a tuner also so just buy fox stuff problem solved lol

TRD said:
I go tuning to improve my AccuTune calculations but I don't do open sessions because I'm too busy during the week and I value my weekends too much.

I'm happy to help you get the right springs and valving.

Appreciate it, once the buggy is done I'll probably hit you up. I should balls up and just dig into the shocks, I've heard they aren't as bad as people think, just a little intimidating

Revalving and rebuilding shocks isn't hard, it just takes a leap of faith to do it the first time and to do it right you need to be patient or have a lot of experience. Cleanliness and orientation of parts is very important.

FOX will tune anyone running their shocks at a race, it doesn't matter where you bought them. If you buy them through me I will help get your first race setup so it's streamlined in future races.

Also note that each of my shocks comes with 4 free revalves, which means you get my advice for free.

Neal3000 said:
Wayne will still tune any shock, except when he's providing race support onsite on behalf of Fox, at least thats my understanding of the situation

Incorrect, he cannot touch any other shocks other than fox. I have been communicating with him as of last week. His shop, alltech, will still work with you. I have had an email into his shop but have gotten no response. For that reason, I have contacted Ryan @ accutune and we have been emailing back in forth. I'm going to work with him and see if we can improve my shocks characteristics.

TRD said:
Also note that each of my shocks comes with 4 free revalves, which means you get my advice for free.

This is awesome! I wish I could pull the trigger on 4 new 2.5 fox shocks! Unfortunately I'm financially embarrassed right now! Such is life! I'm paying my boys daycare a second mortgage each month...........

wizzo said:
Incorrect, he cannot touch any other shocks other than fox. I have been communicating with him as of last week. His shop, alltech, will still work with you. I have had an email into his shop but have gotten no response. For that reason, I have contacted Ryan @ accutune and we have been emailing back in forth. I'm going to work with him and see if we can improve my shocks characteristics.

I guess things have changed, interesting.

wizzo said:

I apologize I did not respond, things have been a little hectic the past few weeks while I am transition to my position at Fox. You are correct that I personally can not work on other brands anymore, but Chris is taking over the operation and can get you going fast.

Chris is running the show at Alltech and contacting him direct is the best way to go. While he has only been working with me since the beginning of the year he raced KOH in 2009 and 2010 with me when we began understanding how to make Ultra4 cars go fast in 2010. We also have the same mentor of sorts.

951-675-8224
[email protected]

zukIzzy said:
I apologize I did not respond, things have been a little hectic the past few weeks while I am transition to my position at Fox. You are correct that I personally can not work on other brands anymore, but Chris is taking over the operation and can get you going fast.

Chris is running the show at Alltech and contacting him direct is the best way to go. While he has only been working with me since the beginning of the year he raced KOH in 2009 and 2010 with me when we began understanding how to make Ultra4 cars go fast in 2010. We also have the same mentor of sorts.

951-675-8224
[email protected]

Welcome to the thread and to Hardline.

See it I got this. As long as I have Fox shocks, you are still doing shim stacks by mail? Still doing testing sessions too?

zukIzzy said:

951-675-8224
[email protected]

Wayne, you did respond and I appreciate that. I haven't heard anything from Chris and I'm not one to keep pushing and feel like I'm bothering someone. You have always been great to work with and I understand your new role limits you.

wizzo said:
Wayne, you did respond and I appreciate that. I haven't heard anything from Chris and I'm not one to keep pushing and feel like I'm bothering someone. You have always been great to work with and I understand your new role limits you.
This is why I like Wayne sent him a text about this thread 10 min later he responds can't beat his customer service. If anyone would like to do a tune day I'd love to split/divide up cost to have him come out. I ended up having to work for strugis and winrock when he was doing tuning there

zukIzzy said:

951-675-8224
[email protected]

The MAN himself!! Welcome to HL!

And thanks again for the spring rate help on Casper!

JohnG said:
This formula is only correct if the coilover is straight up and down. If leaned in/out or front/back, then the Installation Ratio needs to be considered.

Old post I know and it may have been addressed but I have to correct this. If you figure the Spring Load using a known spring combination and the rig is complete not half built. The motion ratio, shock angle, gas pressure force ...........and all the countless things that calculators don't figure. The formula is correct and it always works unless there are anomalies in the data. wrong spring lengths, rates, cross over rings, wrong nitrogen pressure......... it happens my way can find the problems easy enough.

Hope this helps

wayne

kushKrawlin said:
This is really almost unbelievable.. I can NOT imagine "tuning" my **** 100's of times tryin to get it right... I had considered c/o's for the new lil whip I'm building.. But after reading this it pretty much sealed the deal. ... No fawkin way! This sounds kinda insane.. My god what a nightmare... Spring on coil over lovers .. Spring on. The right spring rate is out there.. Beside the needle in that huge haystack.

I know right? I mean you should not have to even touch them at that price they should make the ride like a pillow right out of the box. I mean seriously what other precision instrument would you have to also tune to operate correctly for your style and conditions. PPFFFT a guitar, violin, piano, engine.... lets get serious white rockets for the win.

:stir: Interwebs are fun