• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cold Weather warm up

FiFo

With the temperature doing down like it is I'm noticing that my truck isn't warming up to fast in the morning. This morning I got to the park and ride and the engine still wasn't up to operating temp when I pulled into a parking spot.

I'm going to plug in the block heater and see how much that helps, but I was also thinking of getting the Mopar winter front end cover. I was also thinking of taking down to a dodge dealer and having the high idle feaure turned on. Does anyone else use a front end cover around here and is it really needed, also how much does the high idle help?

I doubt the winter cover is really going to benefit you much if you're not driving the truck very far.. Plugging it in at night will definitely speed up the warm up time though. Mine even sounds quite a bit different if it's real cold out and I don't plug it in.

I drive mine a short distance to work and had this same "problem" all last winter. Diesels need to work to warm up, it's just how it goes. Mine doesn't get to full operating temp in the winter until about 15 minutes into a drive.

A few things you can do... make sure to plug it in at night, of course. Also, have the dealer flash the cold high idle and the cold 3 cylinder idle. Both will activate on their own depending on the ambient temp, however I think on the '03 and newer models, you will also be able to control the high idle with the cruise control buttons... so when you're warming it up and it's not cold enough to kick the high idle on, you can ramp it up anyway with the cruise control.... don't quote me on that, just something I remember from my research last winter.

Another thing that will help warm the truck up faster is an exhast brake flipped on at idle. Creates more "work" for it to do while idling, which is the same idea as the factory's 3 cylinder high idle feature.

I drive mine a short distance to work and had this same "problem" all last winter. Diesels need to work to warm up, it's just how it goes. Mine doesn't get to full operating temp in the winter until about 15 minutes into a drive.

A few things you can do... make sure to plug it in at night, of course. Also, have the dealer flash the cold high idle and the cold 3 cylinder idle. Both will activate on their own depending on the ambient temp, however I think on the '03 and newer models, you will also be able to control the high idle with the cruise control buttons... so when you're warming it up and it's not cold enough to kick the high idle on, you can ramp it up anyway with the cruise control.... don't quote me on that, just something I remember from my research last winter.

Another thing that will help warm the truck up faster is an exhast brake flipped on at idle. Creates more "work" for it to do while idling, which is the same idea as the factory's 3 cylinder high idle feature.

Thanks for the advice; my truck is the new Ram with the 6.7L Cummins so it came with an exhaust brake. I have been using that in the morning to help the engine heat up like the manual says. As for the high idle I tried to get the high idle to work today but it didn't. I know the dealer has to enable that so I guess they didn't. I'll take it in and get that done, from what I read on-line it's supposed to allow me to set my idle between 1,100 and 1,500 RPM while in park.

I didn't think mine came with the block heater cable but I found one yesterday so I guess it did. I bought a timer from home depot this afternoon so that it will come on about an hour before I have to leave in the morning. Hopefully that will help in the mornings when I go to school, though is an hour long enough?

may, or may not have to set the timer for more than an hour.. i know when it dropped below 32* in central CA i would have to set my timer for 4-5 hrs but that was ona f250 PSD. that was to get my truck warmed up before a 6 mile drive to work.

my 12 valve flows air so poorly that I never got an exhaust brake. I don't need even more restriction. I love the one on my Dad's 05 though :awesomework: . Maybe once I get the head ported I'll look into it again.

yha. plug it in, i throw a piece of cardbord between the inter cooler and the rad....
ive had days where even after my holur-hour and a half drive (20 miles) im still not up to temp.
i guess for me its thermostat time... (mine has a mod'd 'stat)

I agree the cover will do little to no good in this part of the country.
In colder areas they are nice :D
I plug mine in probobly more than I need to.
It just likes it better, easier to start, easier warm up...

Good thing my Ford already has the cold start stuff... high idle and exhaust (restriction valve) brake, from the factory.:fawkdancesmiley:

I plug mine in when ever the weather gets down below 40

Also, have the dealer flash the cold high idle and the cold 3 cylinder idle. Both will activate on their own depending on the ambient temp, however I think on the '03 and newer models, you will also be able to control the high idle with the cruise control buttons... so when you're warming it up and it's not cold enough to kick the high idle on, you can ramp it up anyway with the cruise control.... don't quote me on that, just something I remember from my research last winter.

Quoted. :fawkdancesmiley: Want more info... :corn:

With those crappy glow plugs, the Fords need all that extra junk to help 'em get started at less than 60 degrees. :haha:

that is SOOOOO true. Ford's don't like to start when it's cold.. Mine makes one crank and fires off.. Fords sit there and crank and crank, then finally fire off and let out this big puff.

Latest posts