• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

collector gaskets?

lethe

i have a pace setter header with a 2.5" collector. i kept blowing he collector gaskets about every week, so i went with some heavier/thinker graphite gaskets. those last me about the same amount of time, so i decided to try some copper gaskets. anyone have good luck with copper? maybe im just a tard and over torquing the bolts but its getting annoying replacing them every other week or so.

use dead soft aluminum.

they kick cubic butt. i bought a set 2 years ago. lost all but one bolt on both sides due to laziness... put more bolts in, still using them. x3.. maybe more times.

motor mounts help eat collector gaskets too, by the way. :redneck:

use dead soft aluminum.

they kick cubic butt. i bought a set 2 years ago. lost all but one bolt on both sides due to laziness... put more bolts in, still using them. x3.. maybe more times.

motor mounts help eat collector gaskets too, by the way. :redneck:

dead soft aluminum? my mounts looked fairly good about two months ago when i had the motor out.

How do the flanges look? Flat? Or are they warped from tightening the bolts? Back before they quit making them, I liked the double thick ones from CSI.. I had to take a grinder to my flanges to get them to seal cause the previous owener torqued the **** out of the botls and warped the flange... :shaking:

i guess i will look at the flanges when i have it apart next. i ordered some copper gaskets( no one around me had them in 2.5") so i will try that. if it still doesnt work, im going to say fawk it and weld the damn thing.

i just looked up remflex. those are the ones ive been trying with no success. they split in one spot after about a week.

I have run the copper seal, pearcy's aluminum, and the graphite ones with great success. The paper ones just flat out suck. Like others said if you have thin, warped flanges you will probably continue to develop leaks.

weld it up. thats the only way to fix it. collectors suck!!! only reason to remove a header is if its junk. weld it youll be happy and forget all about making gasket compannies richer.

weld it up. thats the only way to fix it. collectors suck!!! only reason to remove a header is if its junk. weld it youll be happy and forget all about making gasket compannies richer.

thats my next step if the copper ones dont work. the way my exhuast is ran i can drop it all in one piece, so welding wouldnt create issues there.:cool:

Eh, it's a Pacesetter, not one of the brands known for longevity.

I've got a Thorley that's been on my 22RE for almost 10 years. Never had a gasket problem anywhere.

a sure fire no leak fix for header flanges.
put a short piece of slightly smaller dia. tube inside the collector and the pipe then gasket with what ever you like and cinch it up end of leak,
the fill pipe will take the load off the gasket.
the cause could be excessive heat at that joint.