• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

compression stroke 4.0L

whiterice

I am back. Posted months ago about getting my rebuilt 94 ZJ with a 4.0L running. First I was thinking no spark? So here is the story, I purchased a master rebuild kit, the cam had narrower lobes then the OME cam I pulled out. I thought?? Oh well, it is a budget master rebuild kit, and maybe the regrind them narrow. I install the cam and timing set per manual. Crankshaft key at 12:00, align the timing marks from the cam gear to the crank gear straight across. Jeep will not start, I get tired of working on it and take it to Olympic 4x in Snoho. The get it running by turning the dist. 180 degrees. Here is how it runs..
Starts fine, smooth idle, but if you start to rev the engine it breaks up at about 2K. The shop mechanic tells me I am 1 tooth off on the timing chain. Cool I say I'll take it home and reinstall the timing set.
Now for the fun part, I pull the dist, cap off rotate the engine to the #1 plug on the cap, set the crank at TDC. Pull the timing cover off and BAMO,, the timing mark on the cam gear is 180 out!!!!!!!! But the Jeep starts and idle fine. I pull the #1 spark plug and rotate engine, to comperssion stroke. that takes two full turns of the crank. Looking at the manual, the cam alignment pin is 180 degrees out>
If I rotate one turn the timing marks are where everything in the manuls says, but it is on the exhaust stroke??
Wrong cam? maybe a 4.2 cam, the timing pins seem to be 180 off from a 4.0L cam?
Any help, this is killin me, new piston, fresh head, regrind crank, all bearing, and it is sitting, and I got hosed somehow on part..

Bruce, if I remember correctly, the condition you are talking about with the dist being 180 out is normal...If you set the keys pointing to each other, the engine will actually be pointing at 180* off #1TDC...Have run into your situation before, and I'll bet the dist is off 1 tooth. When setting it-the trailing edge of the rotor should be at the contact in the cap...

Maybe John from ACRO will chime in on this...:corn:

Kevin, so how the Jeep is running goes in line with the Dist. off one tooth. If you say that sounds like a common run issue I will be very happy. I haven't put the front end back together yet, just in case I find out something different.
I actually drove the Jeep home from Snoho, which is about 8 miles. Like I stated, smooth run under 2K and engine just breaks up over that. On a little down hill off Cathcart I hit 50+ and couldn't even tell the engine was running.
Thanks for the tip. One question, if you set the timing marks up straight across, like I did and the manual says, I didn't see anywhere in there to rotate the engine 360 degree to drop in the dist?? That is how I ended up with a 180 degree off dist. and I thought I was a wrench,, haha, Jeep is changing that.