• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Compression versus octane?

I read up on it and it said it can leave yellow deposits on your spark plugs. I decided its not worth it. I probably wont go through a 55 gal drum once a year so it doesn't matter its 9 a gallon I guess. I don't need anything depositing anywhere.

CHASMAN9 said:
It was, the guy didn't even finish the pull in fear of making it a boat anchor. Didn't know how I didn't blow it up. SPeedSouth guys in Pelham did a great job tuning it, so good, I blew it up at RBD last year, but that was operator error.
. I was standing there watching this take place in person! :****:

From my experience my old zz383 was around 10:1 compression when I got it I ran 100av gas mixed 50/50 with 93 it ran good with no detonation but ran really rich. I blew a head gasket and gauged a head so I went threw the motor shaved the heads which were 220cc bowtie fast burn heads 69cc chambers shaved to 64cc. Decked the block to .000" flat top w/valve relief Pistons which brought my comp to 14.5:1 After that I ran 114 mixed 50/50 with 93 and it was a whole different engine!!! Still didn't detonate even with a base timing of 11*

You mentioned lead in av gas, race fuel is leaded also and will over time chalk the O2's and cause them not to read. Nothing else to worry about.

al1tonyota said:
From my experience my old zz383 was around 10:1 compression when I got it I ran 100av gas mixed 50/50 with 93 it ran good with no detonation but ran really rich. I blew a head gasket and gauged a head so I went threw the motor shaved the heads which were 220cc bowtie fast burn heads 69cc chambers shaved to 64cc. Decked the block to .000" flat top w/valve relief Pistons which brought my comp to 14.5:1 After that I ran 114 mixed 50/50 with 93 and it was a whole different engine!!! Still didn't detonate even with a base timing of 11*

You mentioned lead in av gas, race fuel is leaded also and will over time chalk the O2's and cause them not to read. Nothing else to worry about.

I didn't realize race fuel was leaded. So if I could get 108av gas then it shouldn't matter and would be half the cost

skipnrocks said:
I didn't realize race fuel was leaded. So if I could get 108av gas then it shouldn't matter and would be half the cost
Av gas doesn't react the same it seemed? I don't think it has the same additives as race fuel? When I was running it people told me it didn't have as much oil in it as race fuel? I don't have any facts to back any of this up. I did quit running av gas after blowing the head gasket because I was concerned that it may have been a contributor?