• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cooling a 4.3L

Grama

So im ready to buy a radiator for my new buggy. But looking for a good radiator to buy. I have a 22r rad and also have a 22ret rad. Will either of these do? If i buy new i would like to stay somewhat cheap but with a alum rad. ANy help would be killer.

I oved this to tech :redneck:

Any stock 4 poppr rad just isn't going to be enough. Your going to need to just get an alum. rad to fit in the space you have. And go with a 3 core if possable.

Isnt there a calc some where that you can type in the demensions and will tell you it would be able to cool?

I know it's not aluminum, but I've used a toy V6 rad. from radiatorbarn.com with an elec. fan to cool my vortec sbc powered toy and it was awesome, even in 100* weather FWIW

If you got scrilla, go in the direction Crash stated

I am using a 19"x22" 2 core aluminum from speedway motors and it does a great job of cooling my 4.3. They said it was good up to about 300 hp..

A 2 core alum will work. Myself I will never run an alum rad. If you damagae it on the trail/off its a POS to fix..

crash said:
A 2 core alum will work. Myself I will never run an alum rad. If you damagae it on the trail/off its a POS to fix..

thats what the epoxy stuff is for....

--B

Unit said:
Crash what are you using for a rad? Read some where it was from a diesel toyota?

Its out of a diesle pickup out of canada. I don't know the aplication (but am trying to find out) yet....

I am using a radiator out of an '87 dodge raider Or mitsu montero. It is just a tad larger than the stock 22RE radiator but is a 3 core and has served me very well. From high revving dunes to crawlin around in hot weather all day.
Inlet and outled pipes are on the correct sides for the 4.3 also. I searched like 8 junkyards to find the right one.

crash said:
Its out of a diesle pickup out of canada. I don't know the aplication (but am trying to find out) yet....

so didja find out yet???? got my tranny, now need to get some more parts, and I want to know what to get

Call 1-800-Radiator as they have conversion radiators. Last time I need one was for a 4.3 in a wrangler, was about 183 to my door. Or buckup and get a Ron Davis Racing aliminum and have the very best money can buy.:clappy:

toyota V6 and turbo radiators are 3 core, radiator barn also sells a "heavy duty" 3 core for most toyotas.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Trying to figure out if i want 18 or 20 inchs of belly. What you running porter? want higher or lower?

Unit said:
I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Trying to figure out if i want 18 or 20 inchs of belly. What you running porter? want higher or lower?
I will have to measure tomorrow but if memory serves me right I think mine is at 19. Mine houses the link bars, so if yours doesnt get all you can.:cool: I look forward to seeing some spy pics.:cool:

yeah it just looks like it sits tall at 20 inchs. at 18 it looks pimp but would like a little extra up travel

not sure how it would fit in a toy but a '70 V-8 Monza work well with 4.3s. The Monza had a 262 (hmmmm about 4.3L), V-8 and it's an off the self radiator.

Novak have one, IIRC, sq in (L x W) minus 50 = cubic inches it will cool.

4.3 Cooling

I'm running a AA radiator. Cools awesome. Make sure that if you run an electric fan, mount it as close to the rad as possible. I have been running a 4.3 Vortec for about 8 years with that rad. No problems. :cool: