• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CRASH! or Dustin! Lockright install ??'s

wrecker1

in this pic,
lockrightexploded.jpg

the red areas are cup-like inserts. what orientation are they? cup towards axle or towards center? I tried to install them cup towards center, but the center pin didn't want to go in.

also, does the lockright have its own thrust washers and needs to use the original ones from the diff also? Cause using just the originals from the diff don't let it work right. it keeps unlocking too much (read: can't drive it under power for the slippage).

According to the tests on www.drivetrain.com, it specs out correct @ .133 between the halves. A little close actually.
As an additional check to be sure that everything has been installed correctly, use a small ruler, vernier caliper or blade type feeler gauge. The distance between the halves of the LockRight, that is between the two drivers, should be about 5/32-inch (.156-inch, or 3.86-mm). The tolerance limits are between .145-inch (3,68 mm) and .170 inch (4.32-mm). If this distance is much over .170-inch, either the case is quite worn or the thrust washers are missing or are too thin and problems should be corrected before proceeding further.
I've never tried to install one before. This went well until I tried to test it! :haha:

The ends of your axle shafts should rest in those cups. The flat side of the cup rests against the center pin.

You should be able to use the stock thrust washers - unless the clearances are off. If it's too tight (it sounds like yours is borderline), what happens is that it won't ratchet and just stays locked all the time. With that little clearance, it's physically impossible for both sides to be unlocked at the same time without exploding your carrier so your description of "unlocking too much" seems off.

It sounds like it's working, but you need to get used to driving with it.

Make sure both tires are as identical as possible - same size, same treadwear, same air pressure. It matters.

I gott'r figured out.
I didn't install the 2 thrust washers that came with the unit (used). I was thinking they were originals from the previous diff. But they are needed, so I have it tore back apart to install them.
The cups are in the correct direction, turns out they will only go in one way, and I had that part right. :cheer:

thanks 64FJ40, but it turns out I do have too much clearance, allowing the lockright to 'unlock' too much, as I said. The sprngs don't have enough tension to effectively hold the pieces together.

Last edited:
Anyone wanna trade 1 lockright for a spool? :haha:

I got it back together, but could only get one more thrust washer into the case, and still put the pin in. Worked a little better, but still doesn't hook up like I want. Ground the locker a couple times and didn't even got moving (in dirt).
Oh well, try, try again tomorrow.

sounds almost like a bent housing.

the gap you are measuring is it the same dimention on the top and bottom?

if the gap is different the housing is bent and a lockrite wont work rite.

found this on a lot of older 44s. mostly chevy but one ford also.

Did you use all the springs? put the little ones inside of the big ones? are you sure you installed all the parts correctly?

You said its used? did you get all the correct pieces?